PE SUMMIT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill C

Nov 27, 2014
North Central Arkansas
Does any know what size door gasket the PE Summit uses ? Checked the manual that came with the stove but, it only gives the part number for the gasket and not the size... I'm thinking it's a 5/8 or 7/8 size.

It depends on what series stove or insert you have Bill, I have a series -B, and here is what my manual says.

"DOOR GASKETS - The gasket used by Pacific Energy
(7/8"(22mm) medium density fiberglass rope) requires only light
pressure to seal. This will prolong seal life. It is important that the
door seal be maintained in good condition. Periodically inspect
seals and replace if necessary. Follow instructions included
in the DR31.WDGKIT, kit obtainable from your nearest Pacific
Energy dealer."

I need to replace mine, it's not bad but does leak a little. Most here have suggested the OEM kit, as 7/8" can be hard to find. Others have had good success with Ace hardware or other similar stores. Good Luck.

7/8" flatter style, not round, be sure not to stretch it when installing. Did you try adjusting the latch first, if the seal is just loose.

Thanks...that kit # is the same one showing in my manual. Ace does have several different sizes available here.
Mine is like yours it leaks a little. I haven't tried an after market brand seal on this stove, not sure how they willfit. I have used them on my other stove and they worked fine...I may end up ordering an OEM from PE.

It will only help if the door felt loose while latched or if there was barely any handle tension. If so it can be adjusted by tapping it with a rubber mallet to tighten it a bit. Don't overdo it, it's not meant to be hard to latch the handle. If you do, simply pry it back out a bit. People seem to not have much luck with other than non-factory gaskets. Please be sure to report back on how/what works out for you.

Thanks....I looked but saw no way to adjust? Think I'll skip the "mallet" my luck; the door would break...ha!
It's never really illegal in tight like other stoves we have had. Actually it has no movement when it's latched or, none that's noticeable.
Thanks to all who have replied..appreciate the input. Now I know the correct door gasket size. I'll wil post an update if I decide to install an after market gasket. Most likely will just order one from PE.

Thanks....I looked but saw no way to adjust? Think I'll skip the "mallet" my luck; the door would break...ha!
It's never really illegal in tight like other stoves we have had. Actually it has no movement when it's latched or, none that's noticeable.
Thanks to all who have replied..appreciate the input. Now I know the correct door gasket size. I'll wil post an update if I decide to install an after market gasket. Most likely will just order one from PE.

No, you don't tap on the door, you tap on the latch that is bolted to the stove to tighten the gap, which in turn sucks the door in tighter, but if it's not loose don't bother. Have you tried the dollar bill test to see if your gasket is sealing tightly?

Reactions: Squisher
Makes no sense to replace a perfectly good gasket unless the gasket is falling off. or you cannot adjust the latch catch any further.
All you need is a straight screwdriver & a hammer. Rest the screwdriver against the latch catch, and tap it with a hammer, Go a little at a time, maybe 1/16", till the door is snug enough that you cannot easily pull a dollar out of the seal when closed & latched. It does NOT need to be super tight, or hard to pull out, just snug. As long as the dollar can't be wiggled side to side, you're good. See photo of catch to tap on.

Attachments

• SAM_5775.JPG
    SAM_5775.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: Squisher
Different strokes. I've done it countless times now on customers stoves with my rubber mallet. Easy peasy, no damage or marks.