PE Super 27 or Summit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bumblebee

Jun 1, 2018
NB canada
Hi.
Ive eliminated the option of getting the Sirocco 30. Sounds great but out of my budget. I still cant choose what would be best. I live in a 1300 square foot house, woodstove would be in the kitchen where there is 15 ft ceilings with a fan. From the kitchen,eventho open concept, you go up 4 steps to the living room with regular height ceilings. in the back there two bedrooms and washrooms and upstairs theres two large bedrooms. Wood heat is our only heat source. I have a crawl space which makes the house cold but this week decided to insulate the walls in there with white sheets of foams and than a coat of spray foam over it. hoping it will help with warmer floors up top. I like it hot in my house. im always cold no matter what time of the year it is. its 18 celcius right now in the house and i have a big wool sweather and socks on. winter are -20 celcius here. im still getting frosty nights. scard to go too small and being cold all the time but at the same time i dont want to cook us out.

Hi.
Ive eliminated the option of getting the Sirocco 30. Sounds great but out of my budget. I still cant choose what would be best. I live in a 1300 square foot house, woodstove would be in the kitchen where there is 15 ft ceilings with a fan. From the kitchen,eventho open concept, you go up 4 steps to the living room with regular height ceilings. in the back there two bedrooms and washrooms and upstairs theres two large bedrooms. Wood heat is our only heat source. I have a crawl space which makes the house cold but this week decided to insulate the walls in there with white sheets of foams and than a coat of spray foam over it. hoping it will help with warmer floors up top. I like it hot in my house. im always cold no matter what time of the year it is. its 18 celcius right now in the house and i have a big wool sweather and socks on. winter are -20 celcius here. im still getting frosty nights. scard to go too small and being cold all the time but at the same time i dont want to cook us out.
You can always make a small fire in a large wood stove, but you can't make a large fire in a small stove.

I agree with the above comment. I went with the biggest I could and I'm very happy. No such hing as to much heat when it's real cold out and I live in northeast Ohio not Canada. I love my summit, great heat maker.

Reactions: bumblebee
I agree with the other posters. I'm very happy with my summit. I can throw a few sticks of soft wood in in the shoulder season to take the chill off or pack it full of hardwood in the dead of winter to really get cooking--both literally and figuratively--the stove has a great surface area to put a few pans on. We probably use it 6-7 times per week to cook something.

As you will see in my info. Same size house. Went with the summit. Works great for small fires or 10 hours of good heat. Every year more and more gets done to the house and gets warmer. Crawl space as well.

You will not regret the Summit. Great stove capable of big heat when needed and with some practice will work well making less then full heat. Smaller loads are your friend when it is warmer.