PE Vista/Flue cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
Had my flue swept and stove inspected today by the company that installed my stove and flue. Since I had a slip joint on the connector pipe my sweep (2 guys) cleaned from inside the wall thimble up the outside pipe to cap with the soot eater. No need to clean from the T connector outside. Got about Id say a half of a coffee can of black creosote soot. Connector pipe was white powder but there was some buildup up of black creosote flaking around the 90 connector pipe which he said was normal. Said I had good burning habits and recommended every other year for cleaning. Not sure yet on that since still might do every year. He did recommend sweeping in May. I brought up finding some powder on my Azek decking stairs in late February( had pics) . He said normal since wind or a very hot fire can dislodge powder from the cap. He said once he saw my wood piles top covered neatly he knew how the job would go 😂. He said you won’t believe how many people leave wood in piles not covered. Also mentioned that his pacific energy customers are very happy and the ones that are not burn unseasoned wood. He said he recommends non cat stoves for the majority of customers especially if doing a lot of cold starts.

On another note mentioned how I mixed in redstone bricks. Said to be careful how many you put in since can over-fire your stove if you use too many. I only used one at a time with my seasoned wood.

Very happy with first year burning. My wood should be even better next year.

Reactions: stoveliker
It appears to me that sweep is a keeper too!

It appears to me that sweep is a keeper too!
Yes like these guys. Honest and do a good job. You were correct in an earlier post since they used the soot eater from inside. No need to get up on a ladder to reach the T clean out.

Reactions: stoveliker
Did the cover the secondary feed tube before starting the sweep?

Did the cover the secondary feed tube before starting the sweep?
They did not pull the baffle. When they took the connector pipe off I looked in the top of stove and it looked clean inside. They cleaned the connector pipe outside with soot eater. Then he put the soot eater in the thimble and went up to the cap.

I told him I had a baffle gasket but he said it was not necessary to pull it at this stage. Only burned just over a cord.

Reactions: begreen
Sounds good. Time for summer!

Reactions: begreen