Pellet ash in garden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaleZ

Oct 18, 2007
Nassau, NY
First year with a pellet stove and dumped the ashes in my vegetable garden. Garden is doing terrible this year, not sure if it's related or not. Anybody else dump the ashes and have issues that might be related?

My ash from the pellet stove is used in the garden but really well tilled in
Mind you most of my ash go's to ice on my lane.
My garden is doing well at this point but only in about a week

Reactions: Washed-Up
Ash is great to raise the pH of the soil, but if you add too much it will be a problem.

Unless you had LOTS of ash, and a little bitty garden, I doubt you added enough to make much of a difference either way. The soil has an incredible buffering capacity. In PA, for ag fields that haven't been limed in years, it's not uncommon to get a recommendation of 8 tons of lime per acre. I don't know the analysis of wood ash, but I doubt it's as high as calcitic lime.

My ash usually goes in the driveway for traction, and on top of ice in the winter.

I'll add it to the flower beds/garden, but have found I have to till it in to get good results. The massive amount of oak leaves I have to compost, could be a detractor in this scenario :mad:

Ok. I wasn't sure if there was somthing added to it so it would hold together. I only dumped 3 pans in a 8x15 ft garden and tilled it in. We'll see what happens as the time passes.

I use hardwood/softwood blend pellets, I had planned on spreading some ash out on our lawn, has anyone used them on their lawn.

We have plenty of white pine needles on the yard that I would rake up first, and then spread some pellet ash on.

i mix mine in with my compost... works great
We have some rain coming in on Monday so I'll rake the pine needles up and get some pellet ash on that area on Sunday.

No garden, but I have a friend that has chickens, I save mine and then bag it up and she puts in where they run around. she tells me they like rolling around in it and it is good for them.

I don't think there's difference in pellet ash and wood fire ash, assuming the pellets were pure wood.

I had a 31 gallon metal trashcan 3/4 full of wood stove ashes from this season. I spread it all out over the lawn (not sure how large, but I only have a quarter acre lot at this time). I have 7 oak trees on this lot with a diameter of 20" dia or larger, so lots of acidic leaves.

Grass is doing well.