pellet boiler???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam1017

Jul 21, 2007
hi nice forum
i have coal burning boiler with baseboard hotwater in my house
i would like to change over to a pellet boiler
and maybe radiant heat floors
who makes pellet boilers besides harmon (Google search turns up no usefull info)
does anybody have a similar set up like im thinking about
what about pellet prices in north east pa
should the retailer have them stored inside or doesn't it matter
what about gas or electric elemits as backup
thanks

Samiam..First off, welcome to the site.

Sounds like you might be taking on an interesting project...if you do keep us posted. Do a little bit of searching around here on the site. With a little searching (right here on the hearth site) you can find a lot of info on pellets,prices,storage and a whole lot more.

Another site member 'bammer' out in Illinois posted his site here on the forum with a link to this:

http://www.pelletpros.com/id73.html

Check out this woodmaster pellet boiler...might help in your research.

Good luck and keep us posted and again welcome to the site.

In addition to entire pellet boiler setups, there are also pellet
burners. I don't know if these are widely available in the U.S.
but I would imagine one could switch one out on an oil boiler
pretty easily.

Here are a couple from Sweden.

Varmebaronen
Ecotec

thanks for the info emailed tarm looks like a nice system
here is a link to the radiant flooring system also looked at a product from warmboard but this looks like its a little more user friendly
http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/warmrite/index.html
i think i like the warmrite better and its a little cheaper (probrably because its plastic instead of wood)

i need to weight the cost options between
pellet boiler/radiant floors/cental air unit parts more expensive but i think i can do heat myself
pellet boiler/stay with baseboard heating i have/ central air can do my self have baseboard already hire air guy
gas forced air/central air system cheaper units but know nothing about sizing ductwork and would feal better hireing pro
i presently burn about $600 worth of coal a year pellets are more effiecent probrably cost about the same or a little
less then coal i estimate gas at about $2200 for gas based on a friends house of same size
based on these numbers i think the diffence can be payed off in 2-3 years if i am correct i would be nuts not to do it
will let you know as soon as i get estimates for central setups
thanks

First of all and these are my oppinions. If paying for fuel coal wins the BTU debate

If you already have baseboard which is an even clean heat you are not goint to be satif=sfied with Warm air
the baseboard fhw can easilly be zoned if there I would opt for central Ac and leave the existing system alone

If you don't want to burn coal in the summer then heat exchangers to Ac is out If you have gass hot water heater then it might be possible to use the hot warte heater for an exchanger for AC

I doubt Pellets will be a saving factor in the cost of a boiler the equasion really gets out of wack factor in pellet shortages the West cost can remind you this is an issue when this occures 300 or more a ton if you can get it becomes a reality

what about a multi fuel boiler gas coal and or wood If you can get relitive inexpensive wood and scrounge for wood this might be the best path for saving. At one point corn might be cheaper but ethenol demands might change that and corn cost rise..

There are a lot of raves about radiant heat but I don't think it will be cost savings in your current setup. I meed to know more why you are so dissatisfied with your current base board heat

There are ways to inprove the delivery system shorten the zones aqnd if you get the cooler room at the end of the zone thare are some high effeciency Base board radiatios that increase the btu output form the common 450 per ft to 1200.., I assuming all exposed piping is insulated to R-5.0 or greater your sills have been draft proffed you see all thises simple things can and will inprove heat loss is increase effeciency and using lass fuel Is the basement floor insulater to r-19 or more?

My point maybe improvements of you current home and system is the most cost effective way to go? We need more info to advise you

Status
Not open for further replies.