Pellet burning is making it tough on my horses!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
We normally get a small dump truck load of sawdust every other month to provide bedding for our 2 horses. Our provider has been telling us that it's betting harder to get loads of sawdust since the summer but I never did question why since I assumed it was related to a possible slow down in local logging but he told me last week it's due to all the sawdust and other debris being sold off to make pellets. Kind of ironic since this year we switched to burning wood!

Maybe you need to look around and see if there are things other than saw dust, around here they use a lot of pine shavings.

I use pine shavings for my chickens and the folks who used to be next door used them for their horses, goat, pony, and donkey.

Some of the pellet mills up here also cut their own trees instead of using sawdust.

To save money many horse people purchase the softwood stove pellets because they are cheaper than the pelleted bedding. If a horse (or other animal) appears on a bag, then the mfg can charge more! Note - don't risk using hardwood pellets as bedding because just a tiny amount of black walnut is Very Bad News!

we us to get saw dust because it was cheaper $10.00 a truck load then it went to $20.00 when they started making pellets in corinth now you just plain cant get it any more. now we buy the bags of shavings for $4.50 a bag and they are rising every other month. I say we i mean she has the horse and i pay for it.

most people stay away from the hard wood because the red oak turns the white hair red.

My daughters nags live the outdoor life. They have an open shed when they want it which is almost never. The manure spreads itself with a little help from the neighborhood crows. Strangely they seem happier outside when its -20 most of the time as long as they have a bale of hay to chew on. Saves a lot on shavings.

Driz said:
My daughters nags live the outdoor life. They have an open shed when they want it which is almost never. The manure spreads itself with a little help from the neighborhood crows. Strangely they seem happier outside when its -20 most of the time as long as they have a bale of hay to chew on. Saves a lot on shavings.

I wish that's the way ours were...but my wife spoils them BIG TIME!! I did place an ad on our local craigslist and have 2 people that have some sawdust for free for me....I was willing to pay for it but free is good!

We have a small boarding facility and rent stalls for 7 horses.

Sawdust is at a premium now. I have used straw, shredded paper and other stuff too.

After you have shoveled Horse POOP as long as I have, there is nothing as good as nice fesh sawdust to bed with.
The other stuff is nasty.

We usually place 2-3 inches over the rubber stall mats which are over a 6 inch deep bead of gravel to allow drainage.

The stall Pellets work best in a pellet stove. The cost for the bagged pellets to use in a horse stall is prohibitively exspensive.

I pay $380 for 7 units of sawdust delivered and placed in the Storage barn.

Used to get a whole live floor 40 footer semi for $500 delivered.

Around here the pellet makes switched from advertising 100% all wood pellets to wood by products or ????

A lot of bark and other stuff goes in.

The biggy is to not have too much DIRT mixed in the stuff.

Personally I could care less about a little clinkering. If the stuff is cheap enough, I can put up with cleaning the pot more often.

Keeping horses is a spendy thing no matter what.

HORSE = A hole in the barn/pasture that you dump money into. :0)

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.