Pellet choices and prices...Greenway vs. Hamers vs. Big Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
So I can get Greenway from a place 2 miles away for a $299 a ton. That seems a bit high. I also can get Hamers for $289 a ton but will have to add on $36 per ton for delivery. I was originally told it would be $30 for the delivery-but that is apparently not true. I have some left over pellets from last year that I will use to carry us through the shoulder season. I will be ordering 2 tons of whatever I get.

I had been using Pres-to-Logs from Lowes for the last 3 years but they no longer stock them. I was getting them for about $229-$249 a ton. They have become much more ashy lately and I was hoping to try something new this year.

So...how do you feel about the greenway's for $299 a ton (I would pick them up and deliver them myself into garage)? Am I going to get a markedly improved pellet and burn for the $50 increase or should I just stick with the big box stores and get either stove chow from HD or Power Pellets from Lowes?

* I have a Harman XXV

What do you think?

2 tons of Greenway for $600
2 tons of Hamers for $650
2 tons of whatever (Stove Chow or Power Pellets) for $259 per ton + 75 delivery fee for $593.

Greenways are a great pellet and have been comparable to hamers for me.Well worth the 7 bucks over the box store stuff.

Reactions: bags
Greenways!

I have zero experience with Hamers but have burned tons of Greenways. The Greenways are great pellets and I had zero issues or complaints running them thru my P68. They are very similar to Somersets.

Thanks. I decided to run out and buy them before reading your responses, but glad you confirmed my readings on other posts. I don't like spending $300 for a ton, but I guess this year will determine whether or not it was worth it.

*I also decided to check my fresh air intake and found 3 freaking wasp nests! I got them out and hope that was part of my problem with junky burns the last 2 years. I had a LOT of sparks (unburnt pellets) flying in the air and I felt something was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.