Pellet Consumption.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dgt178 said:
j-takeman said:
What model pelpro is that?

Careful with the BTU's your looking at. I'd kind of lean towards something with some horsepower. Something over 45,000 to 55,000 BTU's net, Not gross. Say closer to 54,000 BTU's or more gross. You definetly don't want to rate the stove at 100%. 65 to 80% duty cycle will make them last longer/easier on them in the long run.

The model is PelPro HHPP2BD. 55,000 BTU. 120# hopper. Nothin' fancy......but hopefully will do the job....thanx. Darryl..

Doesn't need to be fancy, Just through lots of heat. Glad your choosing the big one. Its should do with out the struggles of a smaller unit. Price sounds pretty good too. Post some pictures once its installed and burning. :)

jdempsey said:
krooser said:
You have to realize that a pellet dealer has expenses...and, contrary to the Occupy! crowd, they also deserve a profit.

I really don't see any price gouging here in Wisconsin...some dealers are at $200/ton...some at $220/ton for the same pellet. Shop around for the best price but figure in the cost for delivery or fuel if you haul your own. With gasoline at $3.35/gallon it doesn't take long to spend $20/ton to travel any distance to get a better pellet price.

BTW...my regular dealer has his 'name brand' Doug Fir pellets priced about $280/ton... great stuff but I paid about $80.00 less this spring for his house brand Doug Fir...

As far as the OP buying that Pelpro stove I guess I'd make a different choice... but we all learn as we go along don't we...
Yes i understand they deserve a profit. What i do not understand. There are 2 manufacturing facilities for pellets 5 counties over from me. Yet the big box stores here, by me sell them $100 higher than you can purchase them from several states away. It cost more to ship them 2-4 states away we all know that.

I tried to purchase directly from the manufacturer but they will not sell them to consumers. If the big box stores there are making some profit at $190 a ton. Then the big boxers here are really doing well. I would think.

The good thing about pellets is you have a choice as to what you buy and where you buy it...not so with public utilities like gas and electric (although there are now some independent electric providers in some areas).

I feel lucky now as I pretty much buy the same pellets each year (I like Doug Fir the best) but can buy the occasion different brand just to try them out. I bought a ton of Southern Indiana Hardwoods last winter right from the factory and I was really happy with them, too. Still have about 20 bags left.

Now that I have TWO stoves I will have the pleasure of buying an extra ton or two of pellets so my shop stays toasty...

Remember when we only had Ma Bell for telephone service? Man that seems like a million years ago....

j-takeman said:
dgt178 said:
j-takeman said:
What model pelpro is that?

Careful with the BTU's your looking at. I'd kind of lean towards something with some horsepower. Something over 45,000 to 55,000 BTU's net, Not gross. Say closer to 54,000 BTU's or more gross. You definetly don't want to rate the stove at 100%. 65 to 80% duty cycle will make them last longer/easier on them in the long run.

The model is PelPro HHPP2BD. 55,000 BTU. 120# hopper. Nothin' fancy......but hopefully will do the job....thanx. Darryl..

Doesn't need to be fancy, Just through lots of heat. Glad your choosing the big one. Its should do with out the struggles of a smaller unit. Price sounds pretty good too. Post some pictures once its installed and burning. :)

There's a 1-2 week delay in shipping....as soon as I get it installed, I'll post some pics. Thanx.

Pellet Usage: Out here in Spokane I heat a 4000+SF open plan 2.5 story home with two Bosca Spirit stoves. Our weather isn't Green Bay weather but we do get cold and have fairly long winters here. I use about 2 tons per stove or 4 tons total. My costs for pellets are usually in the $175/ton range so we can heat our home for a season for around $700 over our 5+ month burning season. The home does face South and was designed to take advantage of solar gains in the Winter months.

We do have a gas furnace that runs us about $50/month in the winters as well. If pellets get over $225/ton we are at the break even point between pellets and gas.

I suggest taking a look at the US stove 6041 at Fleet Farm currently onsale and multifuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.