Pellet Count So Far - I Burned a Ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Heck 50 is cheap compared to some keys. Cost me 200 for my Jeep key and that was my cost through work.

Some of the smart keys are outrageous. This key I believe does nothing but open the door and ignition and no electrical component-chip. This one is round with a few cuts so no way local locksmith able to cut. I was at Amazon looking for new deadbolts for my folks house and I can now get biometric lock for around hundred bucks. Will get one with just push button system for $50

Not an exact count, but about 60 bags so far. It has been a mild winter so far, except for a couple of cold snaps that lasted a few days. Other than that, stove has been running on low mostly. I scrape the burn pot liner every 2 weeks and give the stove a deep cleaning once a month. It can burn dirty for a long time if it needs to.

I've burned 80 bags so far with 117 bags left. Breakdown of pellets burned:
37 bags Barefoot
38 bags Turman
5 bags Green Team Platinum

I've done one full clean of the stove and flue. I have to vacuum out the ash about every 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Them quality pellets you got there. I am jealous.

Them quality pellets you got there. I am jealous.
With my stove (25-PDVC) I prefer the better lower ash pellets to avoid more frequent cleaning of the burnpot (and vacuuming ash). While some BBS pellets burned well, I was having to clean out the burnpot multiple times per day and vacuum out the ash a couple times per week.

With the money I saved on the stove, I am able to put some extra money into quality pellets. I now only clean out the burnpot once per day (not always necessary, but it keeps me on a regular schedule) and vacuum out the ashes once per week (again, not always needed, but it keeps me on a regular schedule).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've run through about 2 1/2 tons of pellets this winter, mostly Ozark Hardwoods and Somersets. I just restocked with a couple tons of Marth hardwoods. With 4 tons in the basement I'm hoping I'm good for the rest of the heating season -- although I might still jump on a ton or two more if the price is right.

Reactions: bogieb
I'm just a couple of bags into my 2nd ton. Started with 3.5 tons of Spruce Pointes. Empty the ash pan every week and every other week I also pull the heat exchanger plates and run the brush through the exhaust ports.

BTW, today is the mid-point of meterological winter for what that's worth.

Just brought in bag 44 but haven't put it in the hopper yet. Many more overnight temps above freezing this year than last so the stove gets shut down more.

I bought 5 tons this year, getting close to burning 2 1/2 tons. 115 bags burned out of 250.

First year with the stove so I have cleaned it every couple weeks as I am getting used to it. We have been using the pellet stove as our primary heat. We have baseboard electric have only used it very occasionally this year. The Harman will heat our entire house (~2400 sq ft) even on days where it is single digits and windy, but it will chew threw pellets on those cold days haha. We used a wood stove for 20+ years.

2 tons Hamers
3 tons Energex

I've only burned 1 ton so far this year here in Ohio. First year with it. 1400 sq ft home 2 stories. Not too bad since its our primary heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Counted earlier today - I've gone thru 129 bags. Only heat with pellets and use two stoves. Only 1650 sq/ft so neither has worked very hard this winter. I would not mind if the weather pattern stays pretty much as it has been. Wouldn't bug me at all to have another 1.5-2 years worth of pellets on hand at the end of the heating season (currently sitting on just shy of 10 tons).

14 bags Lignetics
10 bags Okanagan DF
20 bags Cubex Extra
Several one and done brands....

I clean almost everyday during week as stove doesn't run when were at work.

This is my third season, I buy and burn 3 tons every year so far.(Stovechow) I am exactly halfway through with 75 bags left. An earlier post said we were exactly halfway through winter which made me feel better I thought I was going through them quicker this year.
I do a quick vacuum every day and a deep cleaning about every month or so.

I am heating a 1980 square foot addition that was completed last May. Very energy efficient as I have burned just under a half ton of Okanagan Douglas Firs left over from last year.

I've burned just shy of 1.5 tons. Stove Chows and TSC (rebranded MWP) mostly. I thought this winter was going to be colder... but I'm not complaining.

I had 6.5 tons to start the year. I use some oil heat as well as pellets. I have about 4 tons left. Yep. I have a heat sucking house. It's an old 1400 square foot farm house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first year burning pellets and I have gone through a bit over 2 tons with 2 stoves in about 2800sqft. I do have a couple of direct vent propane stoves in our offices/guest bedrooms but other than those pellets are our only heat.

Started with 6 fresh ton plus 15 bags from last year. Burnt a touch over 2.5 ton so far. I too have a rather large heat sucker! LOL Seem to have burnt a few less bags than last year, though being our 3rd year burning plus with the help of this forum, I think I'm getting it dialed in. Been mixing Hamers and Sets. Makes for a really nice burn, less ash than either burnt separately. Anyone else mixing?

in upstate NY as well. South of Rochester. Im on my 3rd ton so far this season. First year of Pellet stove. I feel im burning too much ... even On HR-1 I go through a bag a day on a ussc 5500 stove?! not sure if something is up or what?

I tend to go through a bag a day if the pellet stove is running continuously, even on the lowest setting. Once the outside temps drop to 25 or lower, I ramp it up and start burning 2 bags a day. I have a Harman PC-45. I burn keystone pellets and I don't mix. I am happy with the price of the keystone pellets and I don't think the ash is too bad either.

geez Im doing 2.5 - 3bags/day. I'm not sure how your stoves are staying clean with such a low burn.

I was at 1.25 bags a day when I was keeping it at 64 to 70 but that was when it was warmer out. Right now I am cranking it to 90 and keeping the feed rate at 4 to 6 so I'm going through 2 to 2.5 bags a day depending on how cold it gets.

I had a gasket leak for a couple weeks so that did screw with the burn rate and heat output a little.

Last edited:
On low running continuous I get about 30 hours per bag. That works when temps are 30s or above. I usually bump it up one heat range for every 10 deg drop outside, but of course that varies with the wind. I've run it on 4 during some single digit stretches with high winds, I got about 15 hours per bag. Got about 7 bags left until I have used 1.5 tons, and start into the 2 tons remaining for this season. 40-50F weather is on the way which means I'll just leave the stove off most of the day.

This is my third season, I buy and burn 3 tons every year so far.(Stovechow) I am exactly halfway through with 75 bags left. An earlier post said we were exactly halfway through winter which made me feel better I thought I was going through them quicker this year.
I do a quick vacuum every day and a deep cleaning about every month or so.

Pellets are the main source of heat in a 1,400 sq' leaky 90 year old home. Just wanted to add that to have the info make more sense.

Reactions: KingRatt
I do not clean my stove every day. I scrape the burn pot twice a day. Do a general clean of the inside of the stove when I empty the ash bucket. I probably only do a deep clean two or three times a year. I suppose I could get a little more out of the stove but I don't feel it would benefit me much unless I could distribute the heat better throughout the house. Not to put down anyone who cleans more regularly. I'm just a dad of three kids who are three and under. I might clean the stove more if I had more time on my hands. Lol.