Pellet Data Spreadsheet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
masterswimmer said:
BG, thanks for the tutorial. Great work MSG & BG.

Now for the real dumb questions. Since sodium count is a column all to itself, I'm assuming there is a relevance to the quality of the pellet. What might that be?

For the most part, it seems that the softwoods produce more BTU's. Does it also stand to reason that the softwoods don't burn as long as the hardwoods? In other words, is there a tradeoff for burn time vs BTU's? Is one more favorable than the other?

Diameter and length are 'supposedly' not important ;) . Is it true for pellets? :)

swimmer

Salt can be corrosive, so a lower count is preferable. A high count may be indicative of logs that have been in salt water. Softwoods/hardwoods burn at the rate set for the stove. In general softwoods make good pellets. I'd say that low fines, low sodium and ash content are preferable attributes. It's really hard to judge the difference in heat output. A pellet with good qualities means cleaner glass and less frequent ash cleaning. I included the length in case one's particular stove is sensitive to bridging. Generally this isn't an issue with a shorter pellet.

BG, once again thank you for your wisdom. It all makes sense. I appreciate the info.

Russ

Anton Smirnov said:
Trees naturally suck up sodium (yhe quantity absorbed depends on the species of tree, the age & the amount of sodium in the ground) That's why gorillas east rotting woood - to get their dose.

Oh great. Now I have to worry about gorillas getting into my woodpile. Thanks a lot Anton.

LOL! :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Anton Smirnov said:
Trees naturally suck up sodium (yhe quantity absorbed depends on the species of tree, the age & the amount of sodium in the ground) That's why gorillas east rotting woood - to get their dose.

Oh great. Now I have to worry about gorillas getting into my woodpile. Thanks a lot Anton.

Come on, you know the routine. Just keep the woodpile away from the house ;)

swimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.