Pellet furnace...Lets Talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
So I have been thinking of taking the dive into buying a pellet furnace and would like a little feedback on members who have them and what they like or dislike about them.

I already have force hot air so there is no duct work involved for me, only to add for the pellet furnace. Can do everything myself so just finding out what problem I may run into for other DIY who have done it.

I heat my house with my Quad Now with no problems and use little if any oil only for DHW.

My oil feed Furnace is only ten years old so I know that cost wise it's a Joke to add another heating source. The price for a furnace is not that much more then a bigger insert.

I'm a 4 to 5 ton a user now, yes my house is very well insulated, I like it warm freeze my butt of outside all winter, but I enjoy it.

I'd love to see some pics of any ones!

Thinking of a Harman PF100

I got my Fahrenheit used at the end of last season. Picked it up with quite a bit of duct work, back draft damper's, and venting (I gave it away, as it was 3"). I bought new 4" venting (manual states 4" needed). Im heating around 3,000 sq with it. 2,200.upstairs and about 800 downstairs. I run it most nights with a woodstove going about 20 ft away. I have ran it without the woodstove and it still does the job just fine. Just runs on level 3 a little longer. I have posted quite a few pics. Im sure most have seen them. If you want me to post some, just ask.

So my cost was about $2,500 installed. I only have it ducted to half of the ducts in the house. The North and South side of the house are 2 long trunks, that feed all the rooms. I only have the Fahrenheit supplying the North side of the house. Kitchen, Baby room, Sons room, Kids bathroom, and our Master bath. Which does a good job heating the whole place.

The furnace itself is a pretty nice unit. I have never had to run it hard to keep it around 72*. If its around 35*, I can run it on manual on level 1. But the other night it got down to 0* outside and it was on level 3 on the stat. Still shuts down to level 1 (pilot) quite often.

My only complaint about the furnace, is when it starts from a cold start, it stays at level 5 (max) for about 25 min. And every time it does a Pot Change (self cleaning pot system / like a bulldozer that pushes everything into ash pan / while another plate keeps a fire above the normal pot / fire never goes out) it goes to level 5 for about 25 minutes. The only reason I dont like this, is if your house is "at temp" and the stat is satisfied. The house gains quite a few degrees. My house on average gains about 5* during this cleaning cycle.

On Premium pellet setting (10 fuel settings) it cleans about every 9 hrs (from what I have seen). The lower the setting (high moisture corn) the faster the time intervals are between pot cleanings.

The hopper holds just shy of 3 bags of pellets. (112 lbs, I think) and the distribution blower is 800 CFM.

Pretty happy with it, but if I were to buy new, I would look really hard into the Revolution. Not for the added BTU's (only 15,000 more), but for the Cleaning System. I think the St. Criox Clinker Cutter system would work better. Don't think it would overheat the place while cleaning.

The PF-100 is a industry leader in forced hot air heating. Large BTU unit and has the option to add a very large distribution blower. Cant go wrong with it.

Here is a video of my Pf100 install
Sorry it would not embed here.

If you decide to purchase the PF100, be aware of the issue with the "burnpot bubble." The PF100 and the PB105 boilers, not all, most, have this issue. The one that you purchase should have the pressure ignition system, don't accept one with the finned ignition. I say this because not only does the pressure ignition fire quicker, with the newest burnpot design, the pressure ignition system has to be used. I have the newest designed burnpot installed in my boiler, been installed a month now, looks the same as it did when installed. Prior to this burnpot, a bubble would start to form about 2 weeks after a new burnpot was installed so just maybe, the burnpot bubble issue has been resolved with my boiler,I sure hope so.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84645/P0/

Same advice I'd give anyone contemplating going down this road (and which I've given here before) - talk to a real HVAC professional, not a stove salesman, about the suitability of whatever product you're considering buying - taking into account the space you have to heat, your local climate, and any complexities which may come up due to your physical layout. Download the installation and owner's manuals and show them to him. Be aware that even if you put it in yourself you're probably going to have to pull a permit (at least you do in my town) and get it inspected for insurance purposes.

Wil
Glad to hear that the new burnpot is holding up. Cross our fingers.
For whatever reason, I am still hanging in there.
Just cleaned the burn pot real good a few days ago, still ok
Must be that Pennsylvania weather. My sons unit is still operting without any
problems with the burn pot.

Fish On said:
So I have been thinking of taking the dive into buying a pellet furnace and would like a little feedback on members who have them and what they like or dislike about them.

I already have force hot air so there is no duct work involved for me, only to add for the pellet furnace. Can do everything myself so just finding out what problem I may run into for other DIY who have done it.

I heat my house with my Quad Now with no problems and use little if any oil only for DHW.

My oil feed Furnace is only ten years old so I know that cost wise it's a Joke to add another heating source. The price for a furnace is not that much more then a bigger insert.

I'm a 4 to 5 ton a user now, yes my house is very well insulated, I like it warm freeze my butt of outside all winter, but I enjoy it.

I'd love to see some pics of any ones!

Thinking of a Harman PF100

Found and fixed the video problem experienced in a previous post. Here again is the video of my PF100 install.
You will need to install the free Adobe Flash Player or an equivalent to see the video in the post otherwise it can be seen in Youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icCKxYeu40A

Status
Not open for further replies.