Pellet insert and chimney air leakage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlecj

Jun 30, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
Hi Folks,

Getting ready to install my new Napoleon insert myself. I have a two story with a chimney lined with clay or terra cotta in great shape. The flue appears to be about 6"x10". When I was shopping for stoves, two dealers said they would just stick a 5' flex in there and stuff it with regular fiberglass insulation and two said to go all the way up the chimney with 4" flex. I decided on the full length and bought a 25' Flexvent kit. But I'm concerned about heated air leakage up the chimney as I know the insert and shroud against the hearth won't provide a very good air seal. Once I open up the damper (or remove it altogether), should I just stuff plain old fiberglass around the 4" flex in the flue?

Another question; the stove can be converted to vent either straight out the back or out the top. If I vent out the top, I won't need a Tee, but then will this be a pain later when I need to sweep the 4" flex from the top of the chimney? Should I just stick with a Tee?

Also the air intake is in the back of the insert; is this OK and will it just pull combustion air from the Living room past the insert/shrould? Should I buy a 25' freash air vent and run it up the chimney?

Thanks,
Craig

shane is correct (as usual) :) note on outside air , unless the stove is designed to allow fresh air into the fireplace do not seal the face of the fireplace so that ambient air can get in. maybe place soft spacers to cut down any vibration (there are motors and such that can make vibrations) but allow air in to get better combustion

Status
Not open for further replies.