Pellet Insert or Fireplace to place in finished basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demarco65

Aug 12, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I am planning on finishing my basement this fall and would like to put a fireplace in the basement for heat source and aesthetics. I would like to put a pellet stove insert in the basement so I do not have to run a new chimney up the basement and the two stories above. Has anyone ever had the pellet insert installed, and not already had the chimney of an old fire place to use. Essentially, this will be like new construction (as far as the basement is concerned) I do not know where I should begin. Any help is appreciated. (what do I need to be aware of before I frame in the basement)

It seems a bit of overkill to build a full fireplace just to house an pellet insert. I would put a good looking freestanding stove on a beautiful hearth. It will be more cost effective and done right will be aesthetically pleasing. Hopefully some folks will post some pictures of their installations soon.

2 stories + roof pitch half story is a LONG run of pipe. it's expensive and not as efficient.

IMO, as an insert owner, I'd suggest a free standing stove. I wish i left my fireplace for wood, and didn't have to deal with all the cleaning annoyances of moving it out, and playing gumby to get to the pipe

Reactions: chickenman
(what do I need to be aware of before I frame in the basement)
Check out your local code departments regulations and get the proper permits. The last thing you want to do is have to tear it all out because it did not conform to code. Not to mention potential of becoming an exclusion under your home owners insurance policy in the event of an insurance loss. I also agree with a free standing stove and I own an insert.

It's very possible to build a shell for an insert that looks like a fire place. If your starting from scratch and have the room to build a chase wall that would provide access to the the exhaust for cleaning it would be as easy as having a freestanding unit but would be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.