Pellet insert question, and my upcoming Pellet fuel project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
Well, finally after a 4 year wait, we are going to be moving into an old 1800's farm house... I will be finally able to install my HS Tarm 4.0 boiler into this house...

In addition, wife unit would like a fire place....I convinced her to go for a pellet insert.

My question - do we need a full masonary fire place for an insert, or can something be manufactured to house the insert system that isn't a full blown mason fire place...

I will be sure to post pics, and will certainly have questions as we set this house up. I plan on putting the pellet boiler, and another Chappee wood boiler (backup) in a boiler room off the garage (We are building a large attached garage off the right side of the house), and running approx 5 heating zones. We will also be putting central air (upper and lower units) into the house with a heat pump backup system. Can't wait to get started!

Here are a few pics of the house "before"
WP_20130310_005_zpsf3046657.jpg
Before. Will be re-sided, roofed, and obviously new gutters lol.

WP_20130310_036_zps48ea62a2.jpg

This is the current Chappee wood/coal/oil boiler... It is in the basement. I will be moving this up to the garage next to the Tarm. Notice the electric backup boiler attached....it is an energy hog!

Nice looking house if you install an insert you can direct vent it just like a stove you will not have to have a chimney.Many installers run the vent up the chimney if you chose to put it elsewhere besides the fireplace you can direct vent it through a wall to the outside.

If you are planning to use an insert somewhere other than a fireplace, some inserts have optional zero-clearance kit available that are designed for building it into a wall. As Lower bucks mentioned you can direct vent out, rather than build a flue. Of course if you're going that route you could always use a free-standing stove unit unless you really want the looks of an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.