Pellet inserts not made by Hearth and Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CrazyTexan

Nov 12, 2018
Good afternoon all,

Thank you to everyone on here for all the great information you have posted over the years. I have been reading for a month or so to determine the best pellet insert to buy. I had decided on a Harman 52i. It would be going into an older (2000ish) Heatilator steel fireplace. I was told by the Harman dealer that I could cut out a good portion of the fireplace in order to make more room for the insert. We are trying to offset the insert to the left about 2.5" because of a poor install originally. If I can't cut out enough, I will just take it all out and put in a ZC kit. The Harman rep was to do the install, but I wanted to find out for sure what the plan would be before we start. I want to avoid having a hole in the wall any longer than necessary. So, I called Heatilator to get exact dimensions of what I would be working with after cutting out. They won't give me info, and said to call a dealer. I called a dealer. They don't have a clue what I am asking. I called Harman, knowing that they are owned by the same parent company. Same service center does all their subsidiaries. I told the rep that they would likely lose my potential business if they didn't get me to someone that could help even if not today. They are simply unwilling to do anything to find information other than the installation manual.

With all this said, I would still like to add a pellet insert, but won't be purchasing from any Hearth and Home subsidiary. This rules out the two favorites on here, Harman and Quadrafire. I have read to stay away form US Stove. Can anyone offer any advice on good pellet inserts other than these? I apologize for the novel. Thank you for your help!

Sorry you got the run around and found some sad dealers. Most companies will not work with customers, hence, sending you to dealers. kap