Pellet install vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elkust24

Aug 6, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, I’m new here and currently preparing a pellet install. I’m pretty handy, but I want to make sure I ask the right questions in areas I’m not really experienced at. I have a pellet stove I’m putting in. I’d prefer to take the vent straight out the back to the exterior of the home. Now this will consist of going through stone veneer, cement board 2x4 wall cavity, 2x6 wall cavity then finally 8” block. Two questions, what do I do for the wall thimble since I’m looking at 17” think wall portion? Number two, am I compromising anything with the block wall by putting a 7” hole into it?

In the attached picture I have figured out where I need to go through the block wall. Notice above in, there are 2ply 2x6 supporting an lvl beam. I just want to make sure I’m not compromising anything in that area that would bite me later on. This is a gable end wall to so load in minimal except where the beam is. There are a total of three beams in this room. The yellow highlights the hole in one picture and highlights the bean and “post” in the other along with the propose hole. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge and patience as I’m sure similar questions have been asked before!

Attachments

• 7FC6ABCB-123D-4B7F-8CA1-A14B275918C1.jpeg
    7FC6ABCB-123D-4B7F-8CA1-A14B275918C1.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 0897EE84-A609-41D2-B6A7-A3330CA2CB13.jpeg
    0897EE84-A609-41D2-B6A7-A3330CA2CB13.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 264
That is a long run in the wall. You will have to look thru the literature of the different exhaust pellet pipe manufacturers and see if any offer a solution to your problem. Also, you are going to have a choice of 3 inch pipe or 4 inch pipe - depending on your stove model and what the manual says it requires and the EVL run of the exhaust pipe, that will tell you have you need. What pellet stove are you getting?

As for putting the hole in that location of the block, I can't answer if it will create structural issues. But if there is any doubt, don't do it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of vertical block space to make up for the big hole you are going to make. You could go up above the block and then out, even offsetting the pipe left or right to avoid obstacles. But you are still left with the issue of finding a thimble long enough for your needs. Look at Excel pellet pipe, Duravent, and others.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/pages/products/

Maybe call the big online sellers and ask.

Remember to first read the owners manual of your stove. It should have an install section giving you measurements for clearances and exhaust placement as it relates to windows and doors and other house features that would fail an inspection. The same goes for the exhaust pipe brand manual - read it carefully and plan for your install. And remember that whatever you do, has to pass inspection from your town and get insurance approval.

Thanks, I actually decided last night to move some studding so now I can come out of the stove to a clean out, do a three foot vertical rise inside the house, then 90 out through the wall. Allowing several inches of clearance from any studs and what not. I still need to find a solution to the wall thimble as the wall thickness I can do nothing about. I still need to pass through roughly 17”.