Pellet pipe 3 vs 4 inch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irene, lets start over. You had mentioned that the stoves only come with a 3 inch vent on the back. Well you are right. Because you were talking about "YOUR" stove. Then ole Sparky jump in and said " Hmm Guess I got the 4 inch option on my Accentra.
Wait go to the web site.
The 3 inch is an option". Bottom line is you'all are talking about two different stoves and both are right about your stoves. But wrong when talking about the other persons stove. Wheeww! I'm outa here. LOL

galen said:
Irene, lets start over. You had mentioned that the stoves only come with a 3 inch vent on the back. Well you are right. Because you were talking about "YOUR" stove. Then ole Sparky jump in and said " Hmm Guess I got the 4 inch option on my Accentra.
Wait go to the web site.
The 3 inch is an option". Bottom line is you'all are talking about two different stoves and both are right about your stoves. But wrong when talking about the other persons stove. Wheeww! I'm outa here. LOL

Ok got it! But i still dont know if you can put a 4 inch pipe onto the Accentra Freestanding stove which is what i am getting! Oh shoot. I give up. I think i will just put the damn stove in the corner where i can use the 3 inch. :)

irene said:
galen said:
Wait go to the web site.

Ok got it! But i still dont know if you can put a 4 inch pipe onto the Accentra Freestanding stove which is what i am getting! Oh shoot. I give up. I think i will just put the damn stove in the corner where i can use the 3 inch. :)

Sorry about that Irene...What we have hear is a failure to communicate.....
The Acentra INSERT comes with a 4 inch standard...but the make a little 3 inch kit so you can .......well attach it to a 3 inch pipe.
Now perhaps the Freestading models comes with a kit to make a 3 inch pipe to a 4 inch pipe. Doesn't sound so ridiculous does it?

Irene,
you can use 3" pipe to your wood stove chimney clay thimble then use an increaser 3" to 6" to go into your wood stove chimney. This will save you alot of money and is alot easier. Use your existing wood stove chimney there is nothing wrong with using it. I have installed that type of setup before and has been approved by code enforcement.

msmith66 said:
Irene,
you can use 3" pipe to your wood stove chimney clay thimble then use an increaser 3" to 6" to go into your wood stove chimney. This will save you alot of money and is alot easier. Use your existing wood stove chimney there is nothing wrong with using it. I have installed that type of setup before and has been approved by code enforcement.

Thanks. The reason i was considering the 4 inch pipe for the Harmon Freestanding stove is cause the pipe length will be around 15 feet. Otherwise the 3 would be fine with me. But i think i have now decided to install it in the corner where it will have less indoor pipe length to look at and for functionality as well. I know it will cost more. This way i will also get the new chimney that goes with the ICC 3 inch pellet pipe. I sure appreciate everyone's help and i hope i am making the right decision.

I also install pellet stoves so here is my opinion on your install. I think you would be fine with 3" from the stove to the six inch chimney pipe. Just make sure to put a clean out tee at the back of the stove. As far as the 15 feet no need to worry, that rule would be if you had 15' of 3" pellet pipe it would cause excess backpressure. As you would have maybe 8' with a couple of 45s then going to 6" chimney which will have some draft anyways you dont need to worry about going up to 4" pipe. FYI Simpson makes a tee for 4" pipe with a 3" connection for the stove but you really dont need that 4" pipe. If you are going to install your stove in the corner it may be possible to vent out the side wall and then you wont have to look at the pipe at all. Just a thought I dont't know what your setup is in the corner. Good luck with it.

Firefly Hearth said:
I also install pellet stoves so here is my opinion on your install. I think you would be fine with 3" from the stove to the six inch chimney pipe. Just make sure to put a clean out tee at the back of the stove. As far as the 15 feet no need to worry, that rule would be if you had 15' of 3" pellet pipe it would cause excess backpressure. As you would have maybe 8' with a couple of 45s then going to 6" chimney which will have some draft anyways you dont need to worry about going up to 4" pipe. FYI Simpson makes a tee for 4" pipe with a 3" connection for the stove but you really dont need that 4" pipe. If you are going to install your stove in the corner it may be possible to vent out the side wall and then you wont have to look at the pipe at all. Just a thought I dont't know what your setup is in the corner. Good luck with it.

thank you. I did not know the 15 feet only applied to the 3 inch pipe. My understanding from Harmon is that the use of elbows increases the calculations. So that it might be around 11 1/2 length now. I was counting the whole chimney in my calculations which brought it up to 15 feet. Currently with our wood stove hooked up (No 45 degree elbows and the pipe is 6 inch) we still get occasional backpressure (but it is rare). So i guess you are saying it would be fine in this place if i decide esthetically i like it there (i dont like the thought of the two elbows but have to use them or it will stick out into the room too far). So i still my go for the corner installation.

About the venting out the wall... i would love to just do that. However it does not look like i have adequate clearance out there. The vent termination would be about a foot from the screened porch which sticks out from the house (one foot to the left of the pipe). Also they say the combustibles below should have a clearance of 36 inches all the way down from the vent termination. I have a few bushes out there and mulch which would not have that clearance either. So although i imagine it would all be fine i would not want to install it in a manner that is not according to the manufacturers instructions for insurance reasons. Do i have the wrong understanding on the clearances?? I sure appreciate all the help people have offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.