Pellet prices going up or is it just here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gutterboy2ca said:
Price dropped here by $.50/Bag bringing it down to a realistic $4.49/Bag or $225/Ton, Hope to see it go lower but doubtfull. This is the New Plant that started here in Central New Brunswick Last Fall, Producing a Premium Softwood/Hardwood Mix Called Crabbes.One of the only times i can honestly say i'm happy to have Crabbes.

I'm very glad to have them too - lowest priced pellets around.

paid $199.00 ton @ a local farm and home supply, they were AWF which I have had very good results with.

AW1223 said:
paid $199.00 ton @ a local farm and home supply, they were AWF which I have had very good results with.

What store and where in VA? I found some AWF at southern states but they only had 1/2 ton.

Found at Southern States at Tazewell, VA

I grabbed two bags of OHP's just to run the stove and make sure all systems were go and I am shocked. I didn't have to open the feed slide much further from when I last ran pro-heat pellets and it still put out a really good amount of heat. I think I can still get them at around 150.00 a ton if I go fetch.

I still don't know why people spend the $$ on these pellets. THe extra pellets I have to buy at the 7900/197 a ton is still well below the $248 a ton pellets.

so, that's 13 extra bags at 7900btu's or 4million extra BTU's buying the box store(without 10% coupon)

So, the only thing you save with the 248 a ton is time moving the bags and the space to hold those. So, why do I want to buy the $248 a ton pellets??

There are other factors to consider, besides BTU's. Example, ash output - if you have a small ashpan like I do, the pan needs to be emptied more often. On my stove, if the pan gets too full, it buries the ignitor, causing early failure. If you are at work and unable to empty the pan... you get the idea. Also, with a lower BTU pellet, you will burn more pellets attempting to keep the temperature at a comfortable level. This means that the hopper will need refilling more often, which again can be a problem if you're at work and unavailable to refill it. I have lower BTU pellets for the shoulder season (Maine's Choice, Greene Team), but when Winter really takes hold I have my stash of Okies, which make less ash and have a higher BTU output, meaning less ashpan emptying and less hopper filling.

EarlyMan

A lot less ash and cleaning, thats why.

just picked up a ton of fireside ultra's at home depot $197.00 ton , my last ton needed for the season , 4 tons in basement, 1 north american, 1 stove chow,1 fireside ultra and 1 maine woods, trying different brands this year, lowes here is still at $224 ton for north american.

Status
Not open for further replies.