Pellet Stove air filtration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dz100100

Jan 29, 2021
Upstate NY
Family member has a Harman P61A pellet stove. When it's running they experience respiratory issues. I'm assuming that combustion air is drawn in from outside in a closed cycle. No issues with combustion by-products inside. Is there air filter that can be installed on the distribution blower to filter and clean the air being blown through the stove??

Thanks!

Problem with humidifiers is the type. We use one with a wicking pad (honeywell) not an ultrasonic mist which puts everything in the air, The wicking type don't and we buy purified watet or distilled water to use in ours, never tap water. I keep my RH around 45-50% all winter with one unit using about 3 gallons every 24 hours. It's expensive but worth it.

The wicking pad ones, the pads are treated with an anti-microbial to keep the bad stuff in the pad, not in your nose.

I don't buy into the HEPA propaganda, never have. Any good filter that won't pass over 5 microns is good enough and HEPA filters are very expensive.

Reactions: Ssyko
Also, you can make a much less expensive near-HEPA filter by taping a $25 3M Filtrete furnace filter (MPR2500 20x20x1) to the intake side of a $20 20-inch box fan, but it will be noisier and uglier (if you care).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
Actually I'm considering adding aluminum Z angle to the sides of my unit and running furnace filters over the air intake louvers. I'll pop rivet the angles to the cabinet and slide in the filters externally. Years ago I added an automotive air filter the the intake side of the room air blower but it was to restrictive so I removed it.

Kind of surprised no stove builders ever did that. Furnace filters are cheap.

i haven't made them for the new Maxx(yet) but i have used pieces of paint booth floor filter very similar to furnace filters only no cardboard frame and sticky on one side.

Not familiar with those Sysko. The paint booth we had at the dealership was a waterfall booth you could put a tractor trailer in, no issue. Was thinking about the Filtrete 1" thick filters. That would cut down on the airborne dust issue quite a bit and keep the backside of the unit a lot cleaner I'll have to close off the bottom openings however. Dust is an inherent issue with any solid fuel stove anyway.

waterfall's are outlawed here in NY, create to much contaminated liquid, and they are problematic in cold climates. we have 3 accudraft down draft booth's

New York has some strange laws but the your Governor is a strange bird too...

I run a couple of tower filters.. One large one in the main room and a small one in my daughters room as she has some breathing issues... As long as i keep the filtration running she is good to go.. Looking at getting a dyson at some point they are expensive but i like the fact you can see what its doing and it will adjust with the pollutants in the air.. Been running the big one for a few years and only ever have to clean the pre filter...

I have one of these: