Pellet Stove, and Gas Water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RXTC

Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
First off, I probably know the answer, but I'll still ask to make sure.

I have a 150 year old home that has 2 main chimneys, both of which used coal judging by the size of the hearths.

Fast Forward to today, one chimney has 2 vent free gas logs. The other has a gas water heater venting into it, with the hearths closed up.

I'd like to put a pellet stove on the side of the house with the water heater, but the only venting options are:

Cut through a 3 layer 150yo brick wall, and have exposed flue pipe in the house
Go through a window
Or vent through the existing chimney that is 30 foot tall, and is also used by the water heater.

Can the pellet stove, and water heater use the same chimney?
Is 30' too tall for the pellet stove to vent through?

Odds are the water heater just dumps into the chimney

The Chimney inside dimensions are approximately 15"X10" not lined, but clean.

Thank you for your replies/advice in advance.

While a pellet stove and hot water heater can use the same chimney it is not recommend to operate them that way unless the chimney has multiple flues and each device has its own flue. In some places it is also against code to vent more than one device into a single flue.

Basically it isn't a safe practice to vent multiple devices into the same flue. You can get situations where there are explosive gases coming out of one device when the other one lights up making a boomy noise and perhaps ruining stuff, or one device is pumping out CO and the other device is sitting there not running and the CO comes into the flue of that device and out its air intake or through a damper, etc ...

That 30' shouldn't present an issue but it might (it will depend upon the stove) and that flue should have a liner run up through it.

Well, I was thinking the gas appliance venting into it lined or not would be a no go, and 30' chimney would be too tall to vent the pellet stove.

There is enough room to run liners, although the water heater just dumps into the chimney at the moment.

I am not apposed to running the liners, as I think it would be best anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.