Pellet Stove cools rest of house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john410

Mar 12, 2022
Delaware
I installed a pellet stove to supplement my propane furnace. Even though I run the furnace fan constantly to circulate the warm air generated by the pellet stove, the bedrooms are all about 10 degrees cooler. My initial thought was I just need more air circulation. The really odd thing is that when I set the furnace to run off of a thermostat in the cooler bedroom, it struggles to warm it up even a little. I get warnings on my Nest thermostat that the system is running too much. If I turn the pellet stove off, the propane furnace heats the whole house without issue. Thoughts? Suggestions?

What’s the BTU output of your pellet stove vs the furnace? How does the warm air from the pellet stove get inside the furnace?

Your pellet stove is a space heater. It will heat the room it is in best, the room furthest away the least.

You may want to check the size of your boiler vs the size of your pellet stove. If the propane furnace is much larger than the stove, you may simply be asking too much of it. Also, leaky ducts will only make any issues worse. Sealing duct leakage may help a lot. Check the duct insulation too.

I’m betting you don’t have an outside air kit (O.A.K.) installed
Yes and no. We replaced a propane fireplace insert with the pellet stove insert. The pellet stove vents straight out and draws air from the cavity behind the surround. The old, now unused, chimney allows cold air to fall into the cavity and feed the stove. So, while it’s not directly vented outside, it shouldn’t be pulling in large amounts of air from the room.

Reactions: Washed-Up
What’s the BTU output of your pellet stove vs the furnace? How does the warm air from the pellet stove get inside the furnace?
It’s an Enviro Meridian insert, 45k BTU. Not sure about the propane forced air furnace installed in the attic. The furnace pulls air through all of the returns. One of those is a large return in the ceiling of the family room where the pellet stove is located. I was hoping that it would pull warm air from the family room and blow it through the rest of the house. It does, just not as much as I’d like.

Ok, so all the duct work is in the attic. Thats part of the problem. As it gets pressurized, it pushes warmed air into your unheated attic.

you should not be pulling air out of that chimney space, you do not know what is growing in their. The stove is probably pulling more air out of the living space than the chimney so its pulling air out of every little air leak into the house pulling in more cold air. I don't think the ductwork in your attic is the issue as i have seen those systems and they are a pretty good system and the amount of warm air you loose in the duct world be minimal...
How does the furnace work when its just on by itself keeping the rest of the rooms warm. Do you have the option of just leaving the fan on.. A few of the ones i have seen always have the fan running at a low speed to keep the rooms even and circulate the air

Reactions: Washed-Up
you should not be pulling air out of that chimney space, you do not know what is growing in their. The stove is probably pulling more air out of the living space than the chimney so its pulling air out of every little air leak into the house pulling in more cold air. I don't think the ductwork in your attic is the issue as i have seen those systems and they are a pretty good system and the amount of warm air you loose in the duct world be minimal...
How does the furnace work when its just on by itself keeping the rest of the rooms warm. Do you have the option of just leaving the fan on.. A few of the ones i have seen always have the fan running at a low speed to keep the rooms even and circulate the air
Thanks, it’s working much better now that I’ve turned the attic furnace fan to auto.