Pellet stove corrosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yakka

Jan 19, 2019
Alaska
I live on an island in Alaska. There are two brands of pellets I can get for my summers heat pellet stove. One is clean burn by Manke. They burn hot with little ash. The other is Pennington nature’s hest from Walmart. Burn well with a bit more ash. My problem is the clean burn corroded my burn box in Two weeks. The Pennington never corrode the burn box. Easy fix except Walmart no longer had any pellets and it cold. Everyone from manke to England’s stove works says they have never heard of this. I refuse to believe I am the only one on the planet. I have heard manke pellets could have too much chloride.

High potassium content creates more chlorine gas during the burn process.Chlorine gas very destructive to metals.Perhaps they are adding grasses to their pellet process?

Thanks for your reply. Manke claim that they are completely in spec and I’m the only one with issues. I just ran two years in Pennington pellets no corrosion. Two weeks on Manke and I’m out another burn pot. I built a stainless one but still lost the fins in the combustion blower.