Pellet Stove Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How does that work? If the tested unit is pristine and unused and the particulate emissions are X parts per million and the efficiency is X percent (based on what I have no idea anyway, the it stands to reason that dirty unit (fly ash accumulation on the walls or in the combustion gas path, then the efficiency will be less and it will require more that the X amount of fuel that the pristine stove required to produce the same amount of realized BTU's. I don't fallow your reasoning at all.

I might add that I worked for the AGA many years in their testing lab so I'm very familiar with testing NG appliances of all kinds and the parameters we used to test them

Hello, I am in the market for a new pellet stove pretty soon. My home currently has a Castle Serenity and I have been pretty happy with it. I am replacing a wood stove in one of my Airbnb rental units with a pellet stove, and the guests usually like it real toasty so I would like a more efficient stove. Efficiency ratings are all over the board. The Castle stove is 69%, I was also looking at Comfortbilt 77%, Quadrafire Castile 70%, and a PelPro Cast Iron at 88%.

Does this mean I could literally use about 18% less pellets if I went with a Pelpro over the Quadrafire Castile?
I have a 2001 Whitfield profile 20 and it kicks ass heating my home . it's in a finished basement (the man cave ) . the first secret to getting heat throughout the house is constant air circulation using a Panasonic 6" in-line fan with two intake registers evenly spaced out in the ceiling and two,one on the north facing part of my house and the other say center of the house and controlled with a 3-way switching (one up stairs and down stairs . most important, its easier to maintain a temperature than always shutting down the stove or your air conditioners . as for maintenance, no big deal . my stove at 23 years old has all it's original parts . how is that? once a month a drop or two of Mobil 1 oil maintains the motor bearings perfectly . I use a hollow coffee straw that was heated and stretch long and attached to a 3 in one oil can with Mobil 1 in it to easily reach motor sleeve bearings. as for the auger bearings/sleeve I place a smear of marine out drive grease on the upper and lower bearings every year I have zero wear in those area also . proof of fire photo eye issue is an easy 5 minute fix if your stove shuts down after 20 minutes or so on startup .simply get a wooden dowel a attach a makeup pad to it, place 91% alcohol and slowly insert it up the shaft where pellets drop until you hit the upper part of shaft . gently rotate several times and repeat process again with new pad and you will be surprised the filth that comes off the photo cell area and then stove will perform perfectly . with a shop vac equipped with a hepa filter vac out stove as needed when ash build up . it's important to calibrate pellet drop and combustion motor to a nice dancing bright yellow (not dark yellow )flame . this may take several attempts . be patient . what you want is a hot flame with just enough exhaust to maximize heat output in house . flame should not touch inner top of stove nor to-low near burn pot . want more info just email me at [email protected] . note ***** this is my experience and am not responsible for your stove/home or your ability to be safe in any of your actions you take on . STAY WARM.......
'
Hello, I am in the market for a new pellet stove pretty soon. My home currently has a Castle Serenity and I have been pretty happy with it. I am replacing a wood stove in one of my Airbnb rental units with a pellet stove, and the guests usually like it real toasty so I would like a more efficient stove. Efficiency ratings are all over the board. The Castle stove is 69%, I was also looking at Comfortbilt 77%, Quadrafire Castile 70%, and a PelPro Cast Iron at 88%.

Does this mean I could literally use about 18% less pellets if I went with a Pelpro over the Quadrafire Castile?