Pellet Stove Exhaust Blower Maintenance Friendly Reminder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Foil Tape and RTV silicone is not recommend for use in sealing pellet stove exhaust blower. High temp Foil tape is only good for 300 to 400 degrees F and high temp silicone is rated for to 600 degrees F.
Only the white lytherm is rated for 1,000 degrees F and makes a good seal at high temps.

Also electrical tape is not recommended for taping wires because it gets brittle from the heat.
Only insulated quick disconnects are Approved.
Also the small sheet metal screws did not keep the exhaust flange secure. The bottom screw fell out and the whole flange can be moved back and forth breaking the RTV silicone seal letting smoke in the room especially during startup.
See pics
Pic 1 - old noisy blower with foil seal with loose black case that rattles.
Pic 2 - foil on housing
Pic 3 - Low limit also called proof of fire or system snap disc.
Pic 4 - see green corrosion on wire.
Room blower did not turn on and off with temperature like it should!
Pic 5 - new snap disc with connectors
Pic 6 - new open frame exhaust blower with more magnetic plates for more torque and no case that may rattle
Notice new larger self taping stainless steel screws in exhaust flange with clear silicone for the best look.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Since I read this I've been keeping a eye on my combustion blower temp and its hovering around 190-200 degrees

That is good, in my meeting with England Stove Works we discussed that as the stove gets dirty, the exhaust temperature goes up as the efficiency decreases. So that is a great way to keep your eye on the stove and tell when it needs cleaning!

For what it's worth, that combustion blower will make some noise like rattling. Just replaced mine after one year of service. New one is nice and quiet with better airflow that tells be the previous one might have been defective.

Funny you say that I had a issue with my stove running hotter than normal.. I cleaned the combustion blower and wow sharper flame and the overall temp really went down..

Attachments

• CleanBurnPot.JPG
    CleanBurnPot.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.