Pellet Stove Exhaust T Cap Vs Stove w/ Vertical Vent out Top of Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Abever01

Aug 13, 2019
va
Hello All, I am brand new to pellet stoves. Thanks to this forum. a fair amount of research and being handy I am looking to get a used pellet stove insert. In the running is the Whitney models, seem to be a lot of them out there, and the Brecknell. It will be professionally installed in a second-floor fireplace, the house is 2600 sq half upstairs, and will not be a primary heat source. I am leaning towards the Brecknell p24i, largely because the exhaust vent does not require a T vent off the stove. For a freestanding stove, a T vent off the stove is not a big deal for cleaning. How complicated is it to clean the lining with a T vent? I don't want to have to pull it out of the fireplace to clean. Two major concerns are, the weight to move and replace to gain access and is the fatigue on the linings, I will be installing the exhaust vent and a fresh air vent up the chimney, during moves. How complicated is it to clean a T cap off the back of an insert stove? Is there a kit that can divert the exhaust vent off the back of the stove so the vent is vertically out of the stove and does not require a T? Are there other considerations here I should consider? If this has already been addressed can you point me to the post
Thanks much

You need to check the installation instructions for the insert. Venting is stove specific and while a lot of it is general there are limitations as to what can be done. Check you local codes and insurance provider. Welcome to the forums :cool:

Thank you Ssyko, I will check on that. Do you have any opinion on how complicated it is to clean a pellet stove insert with a T cap vs a venting directly into the stove?

You have to slide the stove out to access the liner no matter what insert you have. Most inserts the exhaust pipe is directed upwards and you don't use a T w/clean out cap. Check the manuals for the stoves your interested in and they will have the requirements for install.