Pellet stove heat decreases daily

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. I thought maybe we had a lightning strike-type of power surge that fried it, but Flammam thinks the combustion fan stopped at some point and heat backed up from the firebox. His theory makes more sense. The only other possibility I can think of is that it was a floor model 16 years ago and maybe something happened to it then, or the store needed a new air sensor and switched it out with one that was badly beaten, but worked. Since I never removed it until now, I can't say when it happened.

The last two nights we've had the stove on a moderately high setting and it's used hardly any pellets, which - as some of you probably pointed out to me - indicates a bad air sensor. I'm attaching the photos you asked for. As I told Flammam, it's hard to believe that it has been working at all. And you'll see why. Thanks again.

Attachments

• What it should look like.jpg
    What it should look like.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Air Sensor detail.jpg
    Air Sensor detail.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 258
LuvMyStove said:
... I thought maybe we had a lightning strike-type of power surge that fried it, but Flammam thinks the combustion fan stopped at some point and heat backed up from the firebox. His theory makes more sense. ...

I was wondering about that, as usually sensor electronics are fairly passive and normally operates at both low voltage and current. Kind of hard frying something that bad because a component goes.

Hi Guys - We just got back from down south and the air sensor was waiting for me at the post office. I installed it this morning and the stove seems to be working like a champ. I had forgotten how much heat it can throw out. I ended up getting the sensor from a company down in Missouri - about $115 with shipping, which seemed like a great price. The first time I started the stove with the new sensor, the fire took a little too long to get fully involved and the burn pot overflowed with pellets - the auger was churning out pellets about every two seconds - but then the fire caught up to it and it burned down to a normal level. Thank you all who helped me - especially Flammam. Otherwise I'd still be trying to figure it out.

One last question if anybody still reads this string - does the combustion motor usually give any warning signs that it's getting tired, or does it just quit? I haven't had any problems with it, but want to stay ahead of the curve. Thanks again.

Combustion blowers are noted for squealing like a banshee usually, however sometimes what happens is that excess ash in the venting can cause heat to build up in the area the combustion blower is in, most of the blowers protect themselves by shutting down, this usually causes one or both of the following to occur.

1. Vacuum switch cuts power to the auger.
2. High limit trips cutting power to the auger.

Both of the above actions eventually result in a cold stove in the off state,

In the process however it is possible for a hot exhaust back up into the air intake to occur.

LuvMyStove said:
.....One last question if anybody still reads this string - does the combustion motor usually give any warning signs that it's getting tired, or does it just quit? I haven't had any problems with it, but want to stay ahead of the curve. Thanks again.

As Smokey said, the squealing sometimes preceeds failure. Might be a good idea to remove the blower motor this spring during cleaning, and see if there are any lube points, although I seem to remember them being all German made ball bearing units.

Seems like there are so many things that can cuase the integra to produce less and less heat between cleanings. I clean mine every Sunday. One thing I did do was replace the insulator pad on the back side of the inner lower panel covering the tubes. This should be about 1/4" thick when it is new. mine wa about 1/16" and really dry and crumbly. Over night the stove went from warm at best at clean out time to holy crap thats hot allllllllll the time. Maybe worth a try.
Now if I could get the darn thing working tonight I would be in heaven.hahahaah

Status
Not open for further replies.