Pellet stove in Scarborough ME restaurant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2011
Littleton, NH
We decided to get out of Dodge for a couple of days and go over to Portland. Was watching the news, when they had a piece on a pellet stove fire at a restaurant. From the pictures they showed, it looked the pipe was run in a petition, which was where the fire was.

Anyways, here it is: http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/port...77464/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/rl2i8r/-/index.html

Tom

It was a through the wall direct vented stove.

We went there for lunch back in late January because our favorite place for seafood was closed until just before Valentines Day.

our favorite place for seafood was closed until just before Valentines Day.

We went to our favorite seafood place, only to find them closed also. I'm going to guess our favorite is your favorite---Ken's?

Ken's is good stuff.

I'm thinking a less than perfect vent install mixed with old cellulose insulation... bad.

i have never been there however my stove is as close as close to be to a wall as it can be . It stays cool as the other side of the pillow ... Stupidity is no reason to slam a pellet stove I need all info i would trust a pellet stove over my oil boiler enough said i have ate many places in southern maine amd yes kens is good......
as well as clambake ? I defend our fellow hearth ppl in all aspects pellet stoves are the bomb and i need another allens coffee brandy sorry want to join ? just lightning the mood

I'm thinking a less than perfect vent install mixed with old cellulose insulation... bad.

I saw some pictures on an other TV channel that showed some foam insulation, the install might also have been a terminated a bit too close the outside of the wall, I didn't measure it so can't say for certain..

i have never been there however my stove is as close as close to be to a wall as it can be . it stays cool as the other side of the pillow ... stupidity is no reason to slam a pellet stove I need all info i would trust a pellet stove over my oil boiler enough said i have ate many places in southern maine amd yes kens is good lol

The stove was far enough away from the wall and they even had a metal guard to prevent customers or kids from getting near the stove.

ty u smokey have an allens ? Us pellet ppl get upset against a bad report :mad: i trust my stove at all costs so does my brother therefore it may have not been the stove...... Dont blame it for ppl being stupid ? my point media jumps on things ?

The media may jump on things and until we get enough information the cause is unknown.

I believe however the cause is going to be an incorrect installation or lack of proper cleaning.

It only takes shorting the clearances or modifying the thimble to get one in trouble, that doesn't even get to the effects of improper cleaning.

Your stove is safe only to the point it was installed correctly and maintained correctly otherwise it is a building eating fire in a box waiting to happen.

Just like any other heating device.

ETA: I just looked at the videos from three of the local TV stations and it appears that there was a joint inside the thimble. Hard to tell given the stuff that was removed what was where and when.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/231612/2/Fire-damages-Scarborough-restaurant

http://www.wgme.com/news/top-stories/stories/wgme_vid_15519.shtml

are the other two story links.

There appears to have been both foam and cellulose insulation along with wiring close to the thimble as well.

My favorite is when the fire marshal declares that the fuel caused the stove to catch on fire. There needs to be a non-flammable alternative for those kinds of people. Not much heat but very safe.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
My favorite is when the fire marshal declares that the fuel caused the stove to catch on fire. There needs to be a non-flammable alternative for those kinds of people. Not much heat but very safe.

Well I'd wonder about that one for a few seconds but I have no doubt that some folks have a pile of stuff sitting too close to the stove such as bags of pellets and wood splits that could make that an accurate description of the cause of a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.