pellet stove in un heated building

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gusser

Mar 27, 2008
Canada
I have just bought a Whitfield " Advantage" pellet stove. (used). I plan on using at the cottage. I have been told that i will have problems starting up the stove because it will be very cold in the cottage when i get there and the motors will not operate properly till they are warmed up. If i turned everything off but left the stove plugged in would this keep the motors warm? i go to cottage once every 2 to 3 weeks and the temp. in cottage could be minus 15 f to minus 25f. Also if i left stove plugged in would there be much elec. consumption?

Bump!

I have no idea how to answer your question but maybe someone will.

I'll just kick in a few thoughts that might or might not help you. You can leave the stove unplugged while the cottage is vacant so electrical storms and voltage spikes wont harm the control board. The motors wont come on until you or the thermostat turns the stove on. About the exhaust and covection blowers......I know that real cold weather can have effect on electronics but not sure how it might be detrimental to electric motors. Consider the heater blower in your vehicle. As soon as you start your vehicle it kicks on in the lowest base setting as designed by the manufacturer.

My guess is that the stove will do ok....even in frigid conditions.

You could call a tech line at a stove dealer in your area.

Motors will operate at a cold temp,but at first they will turn much more slowly than usual. Take a fan outside or in your attic sometime in the winter. I think the lubrication gels up. It will work harder at first but the temp will rise so quickly you will be fine I am sure

Good Luck

P.S use the supressor anyway,they are cheap enough.You never know when a surge will occur

Another idea is to use small electric heaters to heat the area around the stove up slightly before you plug the stove in and try to start it. Equipment is sometimes funny at super-cold temperatures.

Webmaster said:
I start up my pellet stove from scratch - sometimes after a week - it is located in a very cold garage not attached to the house. I have no problem with it. The temp inside that garage has to be as low as it is outside - maybe as low as 10 F at certain times.

Craig, the only difference I see is that the author of he thread (in Canada) says he gets MINUS 15 to 25F - some 25 to 35F colder than 10F. That could make a difference ?

newpelletstove said:
Webmaster said:
I start up my pellet stove from scratch - sometimes after a week - it is located in a very cold garage not attached to the house. I have no problem with it. The temp inside that garage has to be as low as it is outside - maybe as low as 10 F at certain times.

Craig, the only difference I see is that the author of he thread (in Canada) says he gets MINUS 15 to 25F - some 25 to 35F colder than 10F. That could make a difference ?
Sorry for repeating myself but here goes.......

He can always call a dealership or two and see if what is spoken here is consistant with what they say. ***shrug, shrug***

Shooter said:
newpelletstove said:
Webmaster said:

Sorry for repeating myself but here goes.......

He can always call a dealership or two and see if what is spoken here is consistant with what they say. ***shrug, shrug***

Yes he can. I just meant to point out the difference in temperatures. I didn't mean to cause any frustration.

We have to wonder whether we are talking F or C also!

No doubt that at some very low temp, there is point where most stuff ceases working. Something as simple as a very small light bulb inside the pellet stove would keep the temp up at a certain level and could even be hooked to a thermostat which went on only below 30 degrees F or so. I suspect even 25 to 40 watts inside the jacket of the stove (most stoves have swing out sides or other easy access) would raise the temp enough to counter those super-cold days.

Webmaster said:
We have to wonder whether we are talking F or C also!

No doubt that at some very low temp, there is point where most stuff ceases working. Something as simple as a very small light bulb inside the pellet stove would keep the temp up at a certain level and could even be hooked to a thermostat which went on only below 30 degrees F or so. I suspect even 25 to 40 watts inside the jacket of the stove (most stoves have swing out sides or other easy access) would raise the temp enough to counter those super-cold days.
That's a nifty idea. How many of us have used just a basic trouble light under the oil pan out in the cold garage to help with those subzero morning starts. The old lightbulb trick is very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.