Pellet stove insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garye5007

Aug 29, 2019
Connecticut
Hi!
First post here but I've been burning wood in some form for a long time. I plan to replace my first floor wood insert with a pellet insert... Haven't settled on a brand or model yet, but I know I want one with a thermostat.
I plan to install myself for sure.. The question I have is, I have a center chimney and the pellet stove I had in the basement required outside air ducted to the stove. I plan to put a 4" liner (or whatever is specified) up the flue to the top. Do I have to come up with outside air to an insert? House isn't airtight. If I do, where do you advise to get it from?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Gary

You are getting into very muddy water with that Question
Some will say yes and give reasons. Others will say no and tell you why>
Look into a liner that will give you both an OAK and a chimney.
I have an OAK only because I do not want to use air that I paid to heat going up the chimney

If you are in the center of the house, the only way to run an oak would be if you ran a duct all the way to the top of the chimney. I would not advise that at all. How do you think a stove will burn more efficiently, when it’s pulling from the air that is already naturally exchanging into your house from the outside or when it is having to pull air down a chimney through a 2-3” duct?