Pellet stove inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caddyfixr

Dec 22, 2017
Oklahoma
I want to purchase and install a pellet stove insert. I have an all masonry fire box and chimney. Can I install an insert and just run a few feet of vent pipe say up to my dampner area or is there a lot more involved than that?

You will need a liner to the top of the chimney. Sizes wil depend on the distance from the stove to the top of chimney.

Typically inserts call for a 4" liner. Yes run it to the top. Dont even consider a partial setup. There is no way to fully seal the damper plate area.

Typically inserts call for a 4" liner. Yes run it to the top. Dont even consider a partial setup. There is no way to fully seal the damper plate area.
thank you for taking the time to answer my question. i was wanting to purchase a pellet stove but after hearing that i would have to send new pipe up my masonry chimney i guess ill have to hold off on that purchase. i have no idea what the added cost(s) would be to do that and whether or not it is an "DIY" job. thanks again

If you're reasonably capable and aren't afraid of heights it's a pretty easy job. Cost wise depends on the length you have to go. Mine was for 20ft and was about 330 for the whole kit.

I went up about 32 ft and it cost me $700 from a local shop but the same materials online is more like $550. With the local shop I pulled out the coal stove and had the pellet stove running that same night. I used flex liner and pushed it up from the bottom, hooked the stove all up, then a few days later had my son come over with a 40ft ladder and go up to install the topper. My stove is free standing but I did the full length liner up the chimney anyway. That chimney was always subject to downdrafts, not now and it's way easier to clean with the liner in there. I used flex liner, had the roll in the living room and my wife uncoiling it and feeding it to me as I shoved it up. The most difficult part was feeding it around the bend of the smoke shelf, it helped to keep rotating it every few feet. It got caught a couple of times on probably a mortar ridge or something but we got it up there by rotating and pushing up at the same time..

I don't do tall ladders anymore so we got creative lol ! Hah, then I found out another shop would have done the install complete for around the $700 I paid for materials. I should have bought my stove and all from them anyway, done deal now and in our fifth season with it.. Oh well.