pellet stove installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dittodal

Nov 5, 2017
North Carolina
I have an old house (1924) that I currently heat with firewood only ( functional but tiresome) I am considering a pellet stove. I would like to vent through a brick fireplace in the living room that I barely use. I lined it years ago with a 6inch liner and clean it accordingly. can I just run the new smaller vent 3 or 4 in from the stove in the chimney without removing the other liner? how does the clean air intake work when using a chimney? Does it run up the chimney as well?

You can get a 3 or 4 to 6 in chimney adaptor. I had one installed like that. I picked up fresh air from the cleanour vent. Removed the plate and made a new one to connect air intake. The changed the outside cleanout door to a vent. I suppose you could core drill through the brick to outside air or crawlspace.

You can get a 3 or 4 to 6 in chimney adaptor. I had one installed like that. I picked up fresh air from the cleanour vent. Removed the plate and made a new one to connect air intake. The changed the outside cleanout door to a vent. I suppose you could core drill through the brick to outside air or crawlspace.

Thank you for your input.If I use an adapter to size down am I subject to overdraft? The clean out vent is a great Idea, unfortunately my chimney was not made with a clean out.I would be nervous about the structural integrity to remove brick from the lower part of the chimney, I have considered a hole in the floor to the crawlspace which I think you are also suggesting?

Thank you for your input.If I use an adapter to size down am I subject to overdraft? The clean out vent is a great Idea, unfortunately my chimney was not made with a clean out.I would be nervous about the structural integrity to remove brick from the lower part of the chimney, I have considered a hole in the floor to the crawlspace which I think you are also suggesting?
You're actually sizing up, from 4 to 6, so i would think this would refuce your draft. Check the stove manufacturers recommendation. I see no reason you cant draw combustion air from a crawlspace...assuming the crawl is vented.

How many feet long is the 6 inch liner? At the very least you should go into the 6 inch with 4 inch pellet pipe. That's what the NFI manual says anyways.

Hello, Thank you for the input. Its been a while but I believe its 20 ft maybe even 25 ft. You think I can connect to the 6 without over drafting? I'm also open to opinions on brands of pellet stoves, the reviews on most are very mixed.

You're actually sizing up, from 4 to 6, so i would think this would refuce your draft. Check the stove manufacturers recommendation. I see no reason you cant draw combustion air from a crawlspace...assuming the crawl is vented.

Hi, I have not purchased a stove yet as i want to be sure it will work.To big and heavy to be indecisive... Yes the crawlspace is most of the size of the house and has atleast 3 small window like openings 12' x 8' maybe ( 2 bricks x 2 bricks). Can I ask the sq ft you are heating and what kind of stove you have, btu's etc? The reviews are very mixed

Hi, I have not purchased a stove yet as i want to be sure it will work.To big and heavy to be indecisive... Yes the crawlspace is most of the size of the house and has atleast 3 small window like openings 12' x 8' maybe ( 2 bricks x 2 bricks). Can I ask the sq ft you are heating and what kind of stove you have, btu's etc? The reviews are very mixed

Primary is Harman P43, 1400sdft ranch built in 2005. Aldo just installed Castle Serenity in the unfinished basement, open staiway to upstairs. The Harman is rated 43k btus, the Serenity is 36k... I think. The p43 gets the job done easily by itself. I orinally had it in the basement... but moved it upstairs for the ambience. The Serenity was just installed. I work alot in the basement and it gets chilly with just the Harman upstairs. You can usually find owners manuals online. They'll give you recommendations for venting.

Primary is Harman P43, 1400sdft ranch built in 2005. Aldo just installed Castle Serenity in the unfinished basement, open staiway to upstairs. The Harman is rated 43k btus, the Serenity is 36k... I think. The p43 gets the job done easily by itself. I orinally had it in the basement... but moved it upstairs for the ambience. The Serenity was just installed. I work alot in the basement and it gets chilly with just the Harman upstairs. You can usually find owners manuals online. They'll give you recommendations for venting.

Great, thanks so much for the input. I have looked at the castle several times, as well as the pel pro with the add on pellet holder. Once i narrow down I will def go online and look at owners manuals.