pellet stove near windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wiredneck1

Feb 7, 2021
waupaca, wi
I have a enclosed porch on the back side of my attached garage(only way into the porch is to walk thru the garage or go outside and come in the side door into the porch as there is no access directly from the house) , it measures 10'x24'. I currently have baseboard heat out there but would like to get rid of that and install a different form of heat. Im looking into 3 different options, wood stove, pellet stove or a stand alone vent/ vent free propane fireplace. The porch area is made out of logs and has windows covering three sides and the forth side is garage on the other side of the wall.

I would appreciate recommendations on what pellet stoves i should look at for such a small area but if i go with a little bigger stove i could open the door that leads into the garage and heat that area also with the stove and if it gets to hot on the porch i could easily open one of the many windows. I would like to keep it fairly cheap to install as we do not use this area much currently, so i do not need a top of the line stove but yet would like to not be a pos one either.

I'm new to pellet stoves and i don't know how to run the vent being that there is so many windows and i would need to cut the hole thru the log wall etc.
Any insights or recommendations are much appreciated.

image0-3.jpeg image0-4 copy.jpeg image1-3.jpeg image4.jpeg image7.jpeg

Last edited:
With so many windows I'm thinking only way to vent a pellet stove is up through the roof.. vent termination require clearances from doors and windows..Personally I would not go for a vent free gas stove, a gas stove vent would need specific clearance away from windows also , from a quick search

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I see that you are from Waupaca. I know it can get pretty cold there.

Are your baseboard heaters electric?

You might want to look into a PTAC unit or a mini-split system. Both would not require floor space and are more energy efficient than electric baseboard heaters. You could keep your baseboard heat for supplemental heat for when it gets really cold.

thank you for the reply's so far. Im really wanting the aesthetic appeal also of watching the fire burn wether it be from a pellet stove, a regular wood stove or a propane fireplace.

I just looked in the Harman manual and it looks like you have to be 12" above a window.

I just looked in the Harman manual and it looks like you have to be 12" above a window.
Correct. My Harman manual states clearance to a window or door that may be opened is 12 inches above ..or 9 inches to the side or below..with an outside air kit.. & then there are clearances to a soffit, to permanently closed window, door, etc..... I would download an install manual before purchase..

With so many windows I'm thinking only way to vent a pellet stove is up through the roof.. vent termination require clearances from doors and windows..Personally I would not go for a vent free gas stove, a gas stove vent would need specific clearance away from windows also , from a quick search

I'm with gfreek, I'd put a pellet stove in the corner under the peg board and run it up through the roof. With so many windows and doors you don't have many other options (that meet code). Make sure you have a heatproof backing to protect your wood. You could get real fancy and put stone in there or something.

Id stay away from a wood stove and windows... A buddy has one close to his windows and when the temps hit sub 0 the window exploded from the cold and hot... A little more protection on a pellet stove being close to objects

You could also pick a window and sacrifice it...remove the windows and frame it in and put your thimble and air intake wherever in that space....just a thought.

While it looks like there's one exterior wall that might allow a vent pipe (no windows), I'd agree with going through the roof. From an aesthetics and structural view its a lot easier to fix a hole in the roof if you decide to do something else in the future.

While it looks like there's one exterior wall that might allow a vent pipe (no windows), I'd agree with going through the roof. From an aesthetics and structural view its a lot easier to fix a hole in the roof if you decide to do something else in the future.
The blank wall is the that backs up to his garage I think. Cant vent into there. :)

The blank wall is the that backs up to his garage I think. Cant vent into there. :)
My mistake, I missed the triple window and somehow associated it with the two doubles. All appear to be sliders (operable)and the manufacturers clearances have no chance of being met (e.g., window with 48" clearance to the side). Since you cant go out the side walls , or down, the only other option is up. Although it may be possible I wouldn't recommend running the vent into the garage then out a side wall in there (too much work for this old body).

Last edited:
I would recommend an Enviro Mini or P3
Vent the unit through the roof with either a corner or end wall
placement of the unit .
If you feel you want more BTU there are many larger stoves

Reactions: Ssyko
well i ended up installing a st croix prescott, i know its way over kill for the space i have but i will just open windows as needed. I was given the stove by a buddy that used to have it in his house so the price was definitely right. I ended up sacrificing a window, enclosing the opening and running duravent 3" pellet stove thru wall kit outside. I will be firing it up inside for the first time tomorrow afternoon once the silicone sets up. Thank you all for the reply.
thumbnail.jpg

My brother in law living in far south western part of Virginia has a back porch that was closed in with mostly windows, only full wall is the house wall and it has two windows and the back door of the house. Maybe 30 feet long and 12 feet wide, all windows are fixed, has a sliding glass double door at both ends, he runs two ventless gas heaters, one at each end, very quiet and the room is always nice & toasty. They come on/ go off via dedicated thermostat in that room, but gas comes off the house's tanks. I've never smelled any odors associated with the propane heat. If my pellet stove ever gives up, I'll be looking at propane too.

Reactions: Burgess