Pellet Stove or Wood Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sconnieman

Aug 23, 2011
NW Wisconsin
I have already asked some questions over in the boiler room, so now I am going to come bug you guys. I have about 2500 sq ft of finished space (1500 main level with loft, and 1000 lower level) that is currently heated by a forced air propane furnace. It's a split level with an open staircase, and a 18' vaulted ceiling on the main level with the loft. The previous owners had either a pellet or wood stove on the main level and the hole is still in the wall, it's just got some insulation stuffed in it and a piece of stainless steel covering it, and now it has an electric fireplace sitting in front of it. It also has a thermostat wired over to it. I guess I was thinking outdoor wood boiler, or gassifier in the garage, but then started to read about how some of you are heating similar spaces to mine with pellet stoves that cost thousands less than the owb's and gassifiers. Since the hole is already there with a thermostat I figure I would save some install money too (maybe not, I don't know).

Anyway my main question is, do you guys that have experience with these stoves think a pellet stove will work well in my situation? Second, does it make any sense to install it in my finished basement instead of upstairs? Our kid's bedrooms are down there, so it needs to stay warm down there too obviously. The basement has it's own thermostat too, that I assume the previous owners used to kick on the propane furnace when the pellet stove wasn't keeping up. I wish I could call them to ask how well it worked, but I don't know where they are now. If we put it upstairs and run our forced air fan would that circulate enough warm air to warm the basement?

I am going to try to attach an image of our floorplan, so if it works you should see it below. You should be able to see where the pellet stove used to sit by looking at the drawing. The drawing makes it look like an insert, but it was a freestanding stove. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pellet Stove or Wood Boiler?
    floorplan.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 471
Thanks sinnian, I wish the Paromax didn't have such a contemporary look. Doesn't really go with the cabin like feel of our house, but they do sound like efficient stoves that claim they gassify which I don't think I've seen with the other brands. Being able to duct the Ecoteck is an interesting idea.

If you are looking for a pellet heater that you can perform some ducting from have you looked at the Drolet ECO-65? http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/pellet/eco-65-pellet-stove

It's a 65,000 BTU you can hook up to a thermostat and also have 2 runs of up to 25 ft insulated flexible duct to a floor outlet. In effect, it turns your pellet stove into a miniature furnace. About 75% of the heat is directed in the duct work while the rest is pushed in the room the unit is in. see http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/manuels/drolet/45516A_Manual_001.pdf

If you are in Wisconsin, you can lookup the pricing at Northern Tools in Burnsville or on their web site.

Disclosure: I work for the company

Attachments

• Pellet Stove or Wood Boiler?
    ECO65 Distribution.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 362
FyreBug said:
If you are looking for a pellet heater that you can perform some ducting from have you looked at the Drolet ECO-65? http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/pellet/eco-65-pellet-stove

It's a 65,000 BTU you can hook up to a thermostat and also have 2 runs of up to 25 ft insulated flexible duct to a floor outlet. In effect, it turns your pellet stove into a miniature furnace. About 75% of the heat is directed in the duct work while the rest is pushed in the room the unit is in. see http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/manuels/drolet/45516A_Manual_001.pdf

If you are in Wisconsin, you can lookup the pricing at Northern Tools in Burnsville or on their web site.

FyreBug, Thats a nice setup! Just wondering how SBI is getting around the hot vent issues the other companies found when trying to add duct to the stoves. Bixby ugly black box no longer offers this option and I was told it was because the duct registers got over 200ºF. Too hot to touch from what I understand.

I made my own snorkle/plenum to adapt my Enviro Omega and I also installed a new convection blower that was 2x as strong to reduce my vent temps. Also all my vent duct is rated for over 325ºF. But the mods here told me I was nuts and asking for big trouble! I was also sent an email stating I was risking my families life.

Seeing you work for SBI, Maybe you can find out if you must run the convection blower at a higher speed/setting to keep the vents cooler?? Units like this will help the basement installs or upper floor heat transfer issues some users can run into. Thanks for any info you can find.

I'm not an engineer and I'll ask. But I saw them testing this in the lab with all kind of heat sensors all over the place. Not sure if it had to be UL safety tested. I have a feeling this is the reason we only sending 75% of the CFM toward the distribution kit and the remainder on the appliance heat exchanger toward the front.

I'll get back to you.

j-takeman said:
FyreBug said:

FyreBug, Thats a nice setup! Just wondering how SBI is getting around the hot vent issues the other companies found when trying to add duct to the stoves. Bixby ugly black box no longer offers this option and I was told it was because the duct registers got over 200ºF. Too hot to touch from what I understand.

I made my own snorkle/plenum to adapt my Enviro Omega and I also installed a new convection blower that was 2x as strong to reduce my vent temps. Also all my vent duct is rated for over 325ºF. But the mods here told me I was nuts and asking for big trouble! I was also sent an email stating I was risking my families life.

Seeing you work for SBI, Maybe you can find out if you must run the convection blower at a higher speed/setting to keep the vents cooler?? Units like this will help the basement installs or upper floor heat transfer issues some users can run into. Thanks for any info you can find.

Got the answer. I couldn't just copy & paste because its in French. So I'll have to translate it (unless you want to learn French - chicks dig it! :) )

200 F Max plenum temp is for oil & electrical heat. Standards allow for 250F for Biomass central heating. Why? I dont know...

So we have a F-160 thermo-disc coupled to a thermistor monitoring heat assuring the transfer temps are not going overboard. Whenever the temps reach a certain threshold, the software adjust the feed rates and blower speed to keep things in check. If something goes wrong, the software will detect and overheat and trip the unit with a fault code. Our chief engineer told me they spend a month fine tuning the system to make it pass standards and safety requirements.

For whole house and as primary heat, the boiler seems to be the best option. However, if it is pellet stove heat you want as primary heat, you just might want to consider having one on each floor. Lots of people in the forum run two and some three stoves. They don't have to be new and expensive. Lots of units out there that heat homes just fine without a stately pedigree. Lots of options when you have two stoves!

FyreBug said:
j-takeman said:
FyreBug said:

Got the answer. I couldn't just copy & paste because its in French. So I'll have to translate it (unless you want to learn French - chicks dig it! :) )

200 F Max plenum temp is for oil & electrical heat. Standards allow for 250F for Biomass central heating. Why? I dont know...

So we have a F-160 thermo-disc coupled to a thermistor monitoring heat assuring the transfer temps are not going overboard. Whenever the temps reach a certain threshold, the software adjust the feed rates and blower speed to keep things in check. If something goes wrong, the software will detect and overheat and trip the unit with a fault code. Our chief engineer told me they spend a month fine tuning the system to make it pass standards and safety requirements.

Thanks fyrebug! Excellent option to a pellet furnace!

Status
Not open for further replies.