Pellet stove setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sjhample

Dec 1, 2019
Long Lake
Hello. I’m new to the forum and hoping someone here can help me and my searching and asking around have been frustrating and futile.

I’ve had pellet stoves for about 10 years now and they have been good. I had an old Bixby up until about three weeks ago when it finally died. It never ran super hot because it was really build for corn but could also run pellets. Now I have a new (to me) stove and I’m struggling with the settings. I never really had to do much with the Bixby because it was dialed in and running fine, just maybe not as hot as it would have with corn. I have tried to do some research on stove setting and what each of them does but I am not finding what I’m looking for. I’ve even asked people and their response is always “it’s different on every stove.” I get that, I truly do, but that’s not what I’m looking for. I’m looking for just a general description of what changing the exhaust, intake, feed rate, fan speed, etc might do. I know the damper lets in more or less oxygen and changes the flame which in turn changes how hot it burns etc, but I don’t know the rest. I have two stoves, one with a ton of setting and one with two settings (and a damper). The one with less settings burns EXTREMELY inefficiently. I’m emptying ash every three days, which I’ve never had to do, the ash is course and brown, and there is creosote build up after three weeks! Scary! I’m also getting a lot of fly ash because it’s not really vented well. Very short chimney. Supposedly it’s ‘legal’ but I know it’s not efficient. I plane to get a different chimney as soon as I have the money. On this stove I only have the option to change the feed rate, fan speed, and open and close the damper. Can someone explain to me how those two setting work together to make it burn properly and with less ash and creosote. Just a note: I’m very careful with my stoves, I clean the stoves and chimney very frequently (because I’m concerned about the build up.

If there is already a thread about this please feel free to direct me to it. I scanned through the first few threads but I was my going to go through all 60K.

I can send pictures of anything if that’s helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!