Pellet Stove smells smokey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barry48

Jan 30, 2019
MD
Just purchased a used in very good condition 3 year old England pellet stove. When I brought it home after an hours drive in the back of my pick up truck (lots of fresh air) i noticed a very strong smokey odor. Mind you I unloaded off of my truck snd placed it into the room in my house that I wanted to install it into. I immediately noticed a strong smoke smell. I thought it was perhaps the inlet and outlet pipes were open so I placed tape over them to cover. Still had the odor. The next day I installed the vent pipe and connected the stove. Still had the strong smoke odor. 24 hours later after the high temp silicone cured I burned the stove for about an hour. Still have odor ???? Ideas ?????? Thoughts ?????

Wood smoke creates residue.Fresh air does not make it go away.If the previous owner ran it with a leaking exhaust,it gets sucked into the room air part of the stove,and leaves residue.Or(unlikely) there is a crack leaking exhaust into the room air part of the stove.You should have thoroughly cleaned the whole stove,before you ever took it into your house.

Thanks ! I am inclined to think you both are correct. I checked the hopper and it did have dust laying on side walls. Did not appear tone soot, I did wiperhe hopper out with damp paper towels, damp with vinegar. I noticed that the metal lip under the gasket had a brown residue that looked and smelled like smoke soot. It seems to be getting better smell wise and I plan to burn it for several hours today to see if I notice anything. ? When you say clean entire stove are you talking about taking back and sides off or just an exterior wipe down. The burn pot area was clean of ash when I got it, as was the door and glass. I let the previous owner what was going on and he said he had never had that experience.

The previous owner also told me that on the day that I came to pick it up that he took it outside ( not connected to any vent pipes) and he lit it and ran it just to make sure there was mo issues as it had been sitting disconnected for a period of time. He indicated that he ran it for about 5 minutes then turned it off and went to church. Three hours later he returned home and found the stove still smoking out of both pipes ????? Perhaps this is what caused the odor ???

The previous owner also told me that on the day that I came to pick it up that he took it outside ( not connected to any vent pipes) and he lit it and ran it just to make sure there was mo issues as it had been sitting disconnected for a period of time. He indicated that he ran it for about 5 minutes then turned it off and went to church. Three hours later he returned home and found the stove still smoking out of both pipes ????? Perhaps this is what caused the odor ???
sounds like he had it running then unplugged it rather then shutting it off and letting it shut down the way it was supposed to. so you had pellets smoldering inside it ehich is probably why it smells the way it does.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey