Pellet Stove Stinkin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about skipping the spring stove cleaning and cleaning it in the fall to keep a layer of ash in the stove to protect it against rust.

how about skipping the spring stove cleaning and cleaning it in the fall to keep a layer of ash in the stove to protect it against rust.

Yeah i did that this year, mainly because I ment to get around to the spring cleaning and never did. Moisture gets in the ash, and will create acids. The shelves on either side of my stove, below the burn pot showed obvious signs of corrosion.

This year it'll be a real good cleaning and stove brite.

Well it just makes better sense to use ceramic stove top cleaner than go digging for ash inside the stove and potentially stir it up in the air or drop ash all over place....making a mess. Ceramic cleaner works well and a container of it will last a few years if not longer.

Worst arguement I've ever heard...I also use a cleaner, but come on...You're cleaning the entire stove and you're saying that dipping a sponge in some of the ash is gonna make the mess!;hm

I've still never tried the ash/glass trick. I'm a Mr. Clean magic eraser fan, myself.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Worst arguement I've ever heard...I also use a cleaner, but come on...You're cleaning the entire stove and you're saying that dipping a sponge in some of the ash is gonna make the mess!;hm

Who uses a sponge? The use of wood ash to clean off crud on stove windows predates pellet stoves.

I use baby wipes dipped in ash to clean my window. The idea for baby wipes came fom this forum. The ash suggestion came from my stove's manual.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I use baby wipes dipped in ash to clean my window. The idea for baby wipes came fom this forum. The ash suggestion came from my stove's manual.

Oh nos, reading the manual, I must go take a sedative, someone actually read the manual.

Thank you, from all of the people on here who keep harping on reading the manuals.

Reactions: CT Pellet
I think manual has something to do with manual labor.

Ash is free and ceramic stove cleaner isn't.

Ash works just as well as stove cleaner, for me it's a no-brainer, I clean with ash!:cool:

Dave

I clean the inside of my stove with the exhaust blower on....every 10-11 days...no mess outside the stove...no particulates of ash floating around in the air.....nothing falling on the hearth pad. I just tried ash on my ceramic stove with a wet paper towel to see how well it works. I'm finding that there are particulates of ash left on the stove when using ash. Some ash has to be falling onto the hearth pad and could potentially get into the air when cleaning stove door glass. I bought a container of ceramic cleaner 5 years ago when the electric kitchen stove was purchased and i'm still on the same container of cleaner. I know it's seems like a nifty frugal trick but a paper towel from the dollar store and a dab of cleaner works better. Ash particles stick to the cleaner and the paper towel is tossed away....no sponge to rinse in the sink. If someone wants to use ash to clean or pam to protect.....go for it.

I clean the inside of my stove with the exhaust blower on....every 10-11 days...no mess outside the stove...no particulates of ash floating around in the air.....nothing falling on the hearth pad.

Almost impossible for me to believe, but if you say so then I will consider myself wrong!

Do you use a brush of any kind to clean the walls??

Almost impossible for me to believe, but if you say so then I will consider myself wrong!

Do you use a brush of any kind to clean the walls??
I do clean the walls of the stove with a long handled bristle brush kinda like a paint brush I guess...but with the blower ON....ash doesn't come out the front of the stove. Is your stove completely off when you clean it...not familiar with your stove?

Yes, completely off..You better be quiet for me, If my wife finds out that there are stoves that can be cleaned with no ash particles escaping, I am in deep Chit! Probably have to buy a new stove!

Yes, completely off..You better be quiet for me, If my wife finds out that there are stoves that can be cleaned with no ash particles escaping, I am in deep Chit! Probably have to buy a new stove!

Eaton
Just cycle your stove on, then turn stat down (off/no call for heat) and the exhaust blower should run for awhile.

I do the same thing AllFiredUp does. My exhaust blower runs while I clean. If its not on, its because the Leaf blower is hooked up and running.

Oh and I use a damp paper towel. No ash needed. It works. But water is enough. :)

yup, not a good time of year to be dishing out money for a new stove with x-mas around the corner. I'll keep it quiet but i hate to see your wife having to dust everywhere in the house when she could be out shopping at the mall.

Hells bells children, if you want to run the combustion blower and your stove has a timed shutdown sequence like some do then do as Dexter is telling you to do, however not all stoves have a timed shutdown sequence.

A lot of folks have rigged up a switch that basically provides a means to run the combustion blower without faking out the controller. Yeah I know a modification, consider this a built in direct wired testing device recommended by the stove maker for diagnostic purposes.

Others do such work with the leaf blower attached oh thats right, that might over spin the combustion blower (lucky, if the air flow can even get the blower to spin up to quarter the revolutions that its motor does) , or suck that diaphragm out of the vacuum switch (yup, even on a vacuum switch that can take 10.0" wc which is about 20 times what a combustion blower can produce and about 5 times what the leaf blower can produce), then we have some folks who have paid attention and know that a nice ash vacuum turned on and kept next to the brush can also suck the crud right into the canister.

I used to with my quad too eaton. But I don't with the Enviro. If you cycle the stat even breifly it will go to start up and fill the burnpot. Then it will light and stay on low fire for the 30 minute delay they have programmed in to them.

I suppose if you opened the door the combustion fan would come on and it won't feed pellets, But I also think it would fire the air pump and the igniter. Haven't tried though.

yup, not a good time of year to be dishing out money for a new stove with x-mas around the corner. I'll keep it quiet but i hate to see your wife having to dust everywhere in the house when she could be out shopping at the mall.

You had me till you sent my wife to the mall!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.