Pellet Stove Technician therapy thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Depending on the place it is not hard to get that much dust. I have 3 homemade dust filters in the house and we replace the filters every 2-3 weeks. These are the 20x16 furnace filters, so not some small small time filter. We are surrounded by farmland and between the doggie doors for our dogs, the cages for the birds, mice and frogs (what can I say, my wife loves her critters and I enjoy keeping her happy) there just will be dirt. To keep everything clean it just takes a more effort.

If your stuff is getting that dirty so quickly, you just have to add that to your monthly list of maintenance on the house.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
All of them are inherently dirty, just like a conventional chunk wood stove.

I will say I have been a little lax in cleaning my venting lately and the 6039 started acting kind of wonky. I knew what it was and was putting it off (leaf blower suck out) but I turned black yesterday as did the deck, the outside benches and the bushes, but especially me. The venting was loaded, corn makes a lot of fly ash and I admit I got lazy and shouldn't have. All good now other than everything outside around the cleanout Tee is dark grey.

I empty the clean out Tee every week but it still needs sucked at least 2 times a season.

Cooking good now on Notch 5. It's 18 here, 71 inside and wife is happy. One thing about the 6039HF and that is, on corn, you cannot exceed notch 5 (even with a custom programmed algorithm or the stove will go into shutdown as the high limit snap disc will open. I run it on the ragged edge of maybe shutting down. I considered jumping the high limit snap but 2 years ago I warped the upper radius of the firebox fiddling with custom feed rates and had to bring the gas axe in the house and heat the upper firebox sheet and straighten it and then gas weld in a stiffener plate, no easy task in the confined area. Some lessons come hard.

Reactions: rickwai