Pellet Stove Usage (Hours Per Day)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past three years, the only time my stove gets shut down is to clean it or if the outside temperature is keeping the inside temperature warm enough to not need to run the stove (very unlikely, this time of the year, in this part of the country). I definitely run mine 24/7. Just the thought of turning it off makes me cold!

24/7. Or until this brought my unit to a squealing halt:

image.jpg

24/7 since mid november

Any idea on the cost of electricity to run it???? Pennies a day? A dollar a day? I am merely curious

I can tell you my stove uses about 27 watts of electricity when running; 380 at startup. Mine runs probably 20hours a day on workdays and 24 on weekends (the stove steps the temp down while we are at work).

I calculated a while back that my stove uses something like 0.89 kW a day. At 15 cents a kW here its costing me 13.35 cents a day...or about 4 dollars a month.

Run mine 24/7, only shut down for cleaning or if outside temps get warm enough to shut it down.

24/7. Shut it down once a month to clean. Try to pick a warmer day to do so.

To everyone (especially those in the bitterly cold north) How many hours does your pellet stove run on a average winter day. Does anyone run theirs 24/7 (shutting down only to clean). Please advise

24/7.....especially now that temps are 12 degrees!

24/7, anything to keep the oil man at bay!

24-7 Middle of October till the middle of April
Only shut down to clean

We just installed our P43 on New Years day, and it's been running ever since the initial fire up.
My plans are to run it 24/7 until it's not needed anymore. Seeing the LP delivery truck passing right by our driveway makes me all warm and tingly !!!We have all the t-stats in the house turned off except my 90 yo moms, and our sons.
It was 4 degrees with blowing snow last night, and the coldest part of the house was 67.
I'm loving this stove.
Here's some pics of the install if anyone is interested. http://www.pbase.com/champ3jd/harman_p43_pellet_stove_install&page=all

I used to turn it off before leaving for work, but I gave up on that. It seemed it would use just as much pellets to get the house back to the desired temperature when I got home from work. Depending on the temperature I try to let it run out of pellets in order to do a weekly cleaning. Other than that, 24/7 here.

24/7, only off to clean. Running since Nov

To everyone (especially those in the bitterly cold north) How many hours does your pellet stove run on a average winter day. Does anyone run theirs 24/7 (shutting down only to clean). Please advise

2 Stoves, Santa Fe and Castile, one in basement other on main floor. Run main floor 16 hrs/day, Run basement 12 hrs/day when below 20 and 8hrs/weekends when above 20.

Basement Harman that does the brunt of the work only shut down to clean when the weather gets above 20F, try for monthly. Elena upstairs in dining-kitchen usually only runs for an hour in AM and Supper time but is having to be fire up a bit more with this extreme cold to keep the upstairs above 68. It has a weekly cleaning. Yesterdays high-9

Status
Not open for further replies.