Pellet stove won't ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra01

Feb 7, 2009
ny
My late mother had a pellet stove in her basement. She passed away last summer & we are in the processs of trying to sell her home. However, the pellet stove won't ignite The auger seems to feed allright, but no ignition. Because of her age, my mother stopped using the stove a few years ago, so it hasen't been lit in quite some time. I'm thinking that the igniter is bad? I don't know what brand it is & i can't find the manuel. We have the stove in the real estate listing, so I would like to get it working. If anyone can point me in how I should proceed, I would appreciate it. Thanx.

First step is to locate the igniter. You should see a hole in the burn pot that allows the pellets to come in contact with it. Make sure it is clean and not covered with clinkers, ash or other residue. Turn the stove on and see if it glows red. If it doesn't, the igniter is not getting hot but is not necessarily the root cause of the problem. It could be wiring or electronics but the first step is to identify what is not happening.

The Brand of stove and Model number has to be on the stove somewhere. Usually in the back there will be a tag. Find the make and model. You should be able to download the manual from the internet. If not post it here and I'm sure someone will help you out.

Try what novah said first. If the ingnitor doesn't glow. Check it with a multi meter. See if it has power. You will have to start the stove with the meter hooked up to it. Wait for a while and you should see the power to it come up and hold for a while.

If you have power to it. Then the ignitor is probably bad. Easy fix.

Hope you get it running.
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.