Pellet supply

Ctwoodtick Posted By Ctwoodtick, Aug 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast CT
    going into my second year with my pellet stove. I notice that the pellet supplier I want to go with is stating on website that “ the mills are short on sawdust this year so order soon” or something to that effect. Is there any truth to this or just some bs? I’m in CT for reference.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    I have not heard that yet, I am in southern NH.
    Just got 3 tons of Vermont wood pellets. :)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bogieb and jackhammer like this.
  3. jackman

jackman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2013
    Loc:
    Oregon
    It depends on where you live. There's plenty of supply here in Oregon.

G3mike likes this.
  4. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    In Missouri, that’s what the mills are telling us.

5. jackhammer

jackhammer
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2015
    Loc:
    western ma
    I just got a newspaper flyer from my supplier saying the same thing. I always buy in the spring so it doesn’t matter to me. If the “experts” are calling for a harsh winter, pellet suppliers often predict tight supplies.

6. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    We had a slow start last year do to supply as well. It worked out in the end. In our area evidently there were a couple of mill fires last year that put two supply routes down. I haven't investigated pellets this year yet. Oil is $2.58 a gal here last time I looked, not far off my break even point.. I'll probably do like last year and burn oil in the shoulder season at this rate.

jackhammer likes this.
  7. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    $1.58!!! I just paid 2.35 lowest price I can find in my area

8. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Ya that was a mistake, should have been $2.58, sorry about that ! I corrected it. I still can't get past oil being more than in the $1 range mentally. Actually I think we saw a sign at another oil dealer under $2.50. At 2 a gal I might just as well burn oil and in the $2.50 range I do dual fuel in the cold weather leaning a bit more on oil than when it's more expensive.

9. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Yeah I don't know how much money I really save burning pellets but I do like the heat it puts out over oil in our TV room

10. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    Nice - where do you get those? Eh, probably near you which means it is too far for me ;)

11. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    I got them @ East Coast Lumber in Hampstead which is far for you but maybe some closer? They are very good pellets,

bogieb likes this.
  12. The Grintch

The Grintch
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2013
    Loc:
    North Attleboro
    My pellet supplier who I have become friendly with also said pellets may become harder to get in December 2019 and January 2020 this year. I took his advice and bought early.

Time will tell.

13. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    I always buy my next year pellets Supply in Spring. That's what my supplier says he can give me the best prices.

14. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    I always buy April 15th...Tax Day..
    my dealer starts his 2 week Early Buy specials then. I order 4 tons....
    delivers 2 ton around August then 2 tons in January..
    free storage during those times..
    Have 5 tons in my basement now so by January that other 2 ton delivery brings me back to 5 tons.
    this way always ahead....

jackhammer likes this.
  15. The Grintch

The Grintch
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2013
    Loc:
    North Attleboro
    I buy my supply in June when the "Early buy deals" are I'm effect.

Just interesting how the pellets supply fluctuates in the Northeast every few years.

16. scajjr2

scajjr2
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2010
    Loc:
    Kingston, NH
    when I ordered mine this summer there was no mention of any shortage looming. prices had gone up $10/ton over all the brands though compared to last years prices.

sam

17. mudeprived

mudeprived
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 9, 2016
    Loc:
    SW PA
    No problems here in PA. Tractor Supply had a sea of pellets in the back. I never seen so many. They are selling them at $3.79 a bag so I bought two tons.

Attached Files:

18. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Wow 189.50 a ton. That's a great deal!

19. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    Just ordered 5 Tons from ACE HW in Oldtown Idaho. 199 x 5 +50 +ST - $1100 (Delivery 50 bucks). I have 38 bags left over from last year to get me started. Delivery this Saturday

North Idaho Energy Logs - Pellets

20. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    I have eight ton in the basement and one ton is going on it's third season. I think I got to stop buying and wait till I burn all this stuff up in the next two seasons. I burn 24/7 average about four ton a year

21. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    same here.. about 4 tons per season..
    have 5 tons in basement now..2 more tons coming jan or feb.

22. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    But the Costs were nothing but Hard Work when I heated with Wood Stove. Sad thing is I gave away 6 cords already split and stacked when I switched. I see Propane in 15 years replacing Pellet Stove. 61 now.

jackhammer likes this.
  23. UpStateNY

UpStateNY
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Catskill Mountains
    I have been burning wood pellets since 2008. Propane prices around here have significantly gone down. I am locked in at $1.50 a gallon of propoane. At that price I would be burning money if I heated my house with wood pellets. It still nice having an alternate heat source. I will eventually be replacing my wood pellet stove with a propane stove in the TV living room. The propane gas stoves look much like wood pellet stoves and run without any electricity, which makes for an even better back up heat source.

jackhammer likes this.
  24. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    At 1.50 I would also use propane. I pay 3.89 because of my low usage, generator only.

25. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Check out Empire Heritage, vent free, free stand stoves. They are pretty sweet and made in the USA.