Pellet supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
going into my second year with my pellet stove. I notice that the pellet supplier I want to go with is stating on website that “ the mills are short on sawdust this year so order soon” or something to that effect. Is there any truth to this or just some bs? I’m in CT for reference.

I have not heard that yet, I am in southern NH.
Just got 3 tons of Vermont wood pellets. :)

Attachments

• 1B1C7709-A383-4048-8F0C-F3F251F5DC6F.jpeg
    1B1C7709-A383-4048-8F0C-F3F251F5DC6F.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 173
  • 5AC6320B-27C8-42C1-BACE-7F64103C065B.jpeg
    5AC6320B-27C8-42C1-BACE-7F64103C065B.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 167
It depends on where you live. There's plenty of supply here in Oregon.

Reactions: G3mike
I just got a newspaper flyer from my supplier saying the same thing. I always buy in the spring so it doesn’t matter to me. If the “experts” are calling for a harsh winter, pellet suppliers often predict tight supplies.

We had a slow start last year do to supply as well. It worked out in the end. In our area evidently there were a couple of mill fires last year that put two supply routes down. I haven't investigated pellets this year yet. Oil is $2.58 a gal here last time I looked, not far off my break even point.. I'll probably do like last year and burn oil in the shoulder season at this rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhammer
$1.58!!! I just paid 2.35 lowest price I can find in my area
Ya that was a mistake, should have been $2.58, sorry about that ! I corrected it. I still can't get past oil being more than in the $1 range mentally. Actually I think we saw a sign at another oil dealer under $2.50. At 2 a gal I might just as well burn oil and in the $2.50 range I do dual fuel in the cold weather leaning a bit more on oil than when it's more expensive.

Yeah I don't know how much money I really save burning pellets but I do like the heat it puts out over oil in our TV room

Last edited:
I have not heard that yet, I am in southern NH.
Just got 3 tons of Vermont wood pellets. :)
Nice - where do you get those? Eh, probably near you which means it is too far for me ;)

Nice - where do you get those? Eh, probably near you which means it is too far for me ;)
I got them @ East Coast Lumber in Hampstead which is far for you but maybe some closer? They are very good pellets,

Reactions: bogieb
My pellet supplier who I have become friendly with also said pellets may become harder to get in December 2019 and January 2020 this year. I took his advice and bought early.

Time will tell.

I always buy April 15th...Tax Day..
my dealer starts his 2 week Early Buy specials then. I order 4 tons....
delivers 2 ton around August then 2 tons in January..
free storage during those times..
Have 5 tons in my basement now so by January that other 2 ton delivery brings me back to 5 tons.
this way always ahead....

I buy my supply in June when the "Early buy deals" are I'm effect.

Just interesting how the pellets supply fluctuates in the Northeast every few years.

when I ordered mine this summer there was no mention of any shortage looming. prices had gone up $10/ton over all the brands though compared to last years prices.

sam

No problems here in PA. Tractor Supply had a sea of pellets in the back. I never seen so many. They are selling them at $3.79 a bag so I bought two tons.

Attachments

• 20190910_145509.jpg
    20190910_145509.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20190910_123757.jpg
    20190910_123757.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 181
Just ordered 5 Tons from ACE HW in Oldtown Idaho. 199 x 5 +50 +ST - $1100 (Delivery 50 bucks). I have 38 bags left over from last year to get me started. Delivery this Saturday

North Idaho Energy Logs - Pellets

I have eight ton in the basement and one ton is going on it's third season. I think I got to stop buying and wait till I burn all this stuff up in the next two seasons. I burn 24/7 average about four ton a year

I have eight ton in the basement and one ton is going on it's third season. I think I got to stop buying and wait till I burn all this stuff up in the next two seasons. I burn 24/7 average about four ton a year
same here.. about 4 tons per season..
have 5 tons in basement now..2 more tons coming jan or feb.

But the Costs were nothing but Hard Work when I heated with Wood Stove. Sad thing is I gave away 6 cords already split and stacked when I switched. I see Propane in 15 years replacing Pellet Stove. 61 now.

I have been burning wood pellets since 2008. Propane prices around here have significantly gone down. I am locked in at $1.50 a gallon of propoane. At that price I would be burning money if I heated my house with wood pellets. It still nice having an alternate heat source. I will eventually be replacing my wood pellet stove with a propane stove in the TV living room. The propane gas stoves look much like wood pellet stoves and run without any electricity, which makes for an even better back up heat source.

I have been burning wood pellets since 2008. Propane prices around here have significantly gone down. I am locked in at $1.50 a gallon of propoane. At that price I would be burning money if I heated my house with wood pellets. It still nice having an alternate heat source. I will eventually be replacing my wood pellet stove with a propane stove in the TV living room. The propane gas stoves look much like wood pellet stoves and run without any electricity, which makes for an even better back up heat source.
Check out Empire Heritage, vent free, free stand stoves. They are pretty sweet and made in the USA.