pellet vent pipe ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
Ok guys, I'm getting my house sided and in the process, the contractor built a wooden chase for my pellet stove to vent it above the roof line. He said that I need to buy flex pipe pellet exhaust kit for $300. I looked into it and found out that flex pipe can and should only be used in masonary chimney's. Is this true? I'm looking at $300 for flex or $500 for 4 inch duravent double lined stainless pellet pipe. I got quotes from $460 to $620 on duravent piping.
I need 25 linear ft of pipe, a 3 inch t with 4 inch out, 4 inch collar and 4 inch rain cap and 3 straps. How does this sound? Am I missing something? Your thoughts opinons...

I'm having a bad experience with Duravent. The elbows seem to leak...4 of them so far, including one Duravent claims was pressure tested. My dealer says the are swapping out my pipe for Excel which have laser-welded elbow seams. We'll see if that solves my smoke-smell problem.

Yes, flex can only be used for re-lining an existing chimney. You need to use type L solid pipe.

JTP..
Any recommendations? Selkirk/Duravent/ICC??? Lowes sells Selkirk at 1/3 the cost of the other 2. Also, is there a way to attach selkirk to Duravent? I have duravent attached to my pellet stove andit runs out thru the wall thru the thimble. Will I have to install a new piece that goes thru the thimble? Do I need to get a new selkirk thimble or does the pipe just go thru any thimble? Thanks in advance

Bryce

Alan Kaf said:
I'm having a bad experience with Duravent. The elbows seem to leak...4 of them so far, including one Duravent claims was pressure tested. My dealer says the are swapping out my pipe for Excel which have laser-welded elbow seams. We'll see if that solves my smoke-smell problem.

I used the Selkirk brand and I had to seal the joints with high temp silicone because they leaked too.
John

How good it this brand PelletVent Pro?

Make sure the inner lining is stainless steel rated for 575F degrees and not lined w/alunamum which is for gas only.

Well your easiest approach would be to use the same pipe and just connect it. If you have the old Simpson Pellet pipe, there is a new style now called Pellet Pro. It works goos for us so far. We had one leaking issues but simpson sent us all new pipe for free. There is adaptor from the old pipe to the new Pro pipe, but you only need it going one way (I can't remeber which). If you do want to change the brand of pipe you will have to replace all of it, they don't connect to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.