pellete to water heater for a garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaehr

Mar 11, 2009
connecticut
Has anyone ever tried to install the old school coils from wood stoves into a modern day pallete stove in order to heat a garage with a radiator and a pump??

pbaehr said:
Has anyone ever tried to install the old school coils from wood stoves into a modern day pallete stove in order to heat a garage with a radiator and a pump??

It wouldn`t work too good. Pellet stoves have a heat exchanger that absorbs most of the heat produced so getting extra heat for water is gonna be kinda difficult.
Pellet stoves aren`t efficient when used for purposes other than what the manufacturer intended it for.

I was thinking the same thing but keep in mind I am only going to ues it to keep my garage warm not heat a bed room. I also ues a p38.

pbaehr said:
I was thinking the same thing but keep in mind I am only going to ues it to keep my garage warm not heat a bed room. I also ues a p38.
I was surfing European pellet stove sites a year or so ago. They had some very modern pastel colored stoves that had provisions built in for heating domestic hot water. I don't remember exactly where. I believe it may have been in Austria or the Scandinavian countries.
UPDATE http://www.rika.at/en/water_heating_stove/

pbaehr said:

Well, I guess if you really are intent on modifying the stove you could run copper tubing below the heat exchanger or in place of it . but cleaning that coil could be problematic.
Hey , at least one guy here is burning pea coal in his pellet stove and another burns plywood pieces so anything is possible.
have fun and let us know how it turns out.

If you're talking about modifying a stove, I'm assuming you are not afraid of cutting and welding? I was looking at mine and thinking if I got this stove for free and had a hydronic system that I wanted to put heat into, how could I do it? Well, I would use the same tubes that came with the stove. I know they are steel and would eventually rust through but I'll be it would last for several years. I would fabricate and weld a manifold on the front of the stove where the heat exchanger tubes discharge the air. Inside, I would weld a plate to block off where the air comes from the blower and weld a nipple on to the plate. That would be piped to the circulator and a ball valve would go in line to control the flow and thus the dwell time of the water through the tubes. It would be ugly and manually controlled but I'll bet it would work.
That said, you would be burning pellets to heat water, to heat air. I think it would be more efficient to just heat the air....

Chandler

I was just thinking about it I was going to put another stove in my kitchen. My house is a strange set up. It is a normal colonial but the previos owner added 16x32 foot addition on the opsite side from the kitchen and garage. The stove heats that room to I installed 2 through the wall circulator fans to force the warm air out of that room and into my house. It heats the addition to about 70 and the rest of the house to about 63 with out any heat on. So I was going to put a small stove in the kitchen. My thoughts were that the stove in the kitchen my be to much so I was just trying to use the excess heat efficently.

there was another post last year by a guy with a pellet stove who put a few sections of base board HX along the sides of his pellet stove and then would leave the circulator pump running all the time to keep his boiler room from freezing up, it did sort of heat the rest of the house, but only so well, not sure what temps he was getting
he also made his own hopper extension with a sight window on it.

The problem with running a water line through a stove is the production of steam. It can be done. But careful engineering from a tradesman (ie. steamfitter, boilermaker, plumber) might be in order.

need a 30 psi pressure relief valve so you boiler doesn't become a bomb. Drill holes through the side of your pellet stove and run pipes. put in a mixing valve so you can send hot water back through so your pipes are not too cold on the return otherwise you get creosote. send to your exchanger and there you go

There was a company that made a section of pellet vent that had a coil around the inside tube to collect some of the exhaust heat but I can't seem to find it any longer. If I remember right the pipe still had the outer tube and no different clearances. It looked like a nice product as long as steam didn't become an issue. I found it in my bookmarks Fluemiser.com and they are out of business. I searched and evidently they were bought out. The new company still has a fluemiser but it is for 6 or 8" pipe now.

http://www.hamcotanksystems.com/product_fluemiser.php

Status
Not open for further replies.