Pelletheads needing a new GPS system! Tom Tom 540 XXL for $80!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdawg

Nov 3, 2011
Central, MA
I already posted in the Inglenook but want to make sure all the pellet heads who do not check there gets a heads up. Link is below. Crazy computer glitch on the Valentine's Day special promos on Tom Tom website charging buyers the off dollar amount for a GPS unit instead of the price minus that off amount. Below is the link, add to your cart and you'll see the price it charges. Deal won't last long as soon as they realize their mistake. Even their shipping calculator is messed up when you check out. I know how much you guys like a good deal!

http://www.tomtom.com/landing_pages/en_us/valentine/

It will be a great deal if they indeed honor the orders. I have seen this kind of thing in the past and they usually end up canceling the orders and citing a disclaimer about pricing errors.

That being said, I put an order in for one. If I get it, great. If not, no big deal.

They fixed it

I personally would stay away from tom tom no matter what price.

It's all about having updated maps.

My father had an old TomTom and started complaining about it. Turns out it was 4 years old and he never updated the maps. He's a chiseler and didn't want to spend the money. Kept complaining about it but didn't want to hear about buying the map updates.

He went out and bought a newer one that came with lifetime updates and now all is well.

I had the lifetime map updates on my Garmin and never had a problem. Have a smartphone now so I hardly use it. But, when you get a phone call while using the navigation it really is a pain in the butt.

I have 4 Garmins in my family and NONE have automatic updates! :( They want some ridiculous amount for each update. NWIH!!!! I'd never buy any GPS without auto updating again. Yep, I use my smartphone too. Oh, also Garmin takes me the long way around many times as well. I don't think that Tom Tom has a lock on that one..... It even takes me on roads that have never been built.

Get a good pair of boots, a compass, and get some exercise ... it might save you from GPS induced waywardness .... (bear running for cover)

tjnamtiw said:
I have 4 Garmins in my family and NONE have automatic updates! :( They want some ridiculous amount for each update. NWIH!!!! I'd never buy any GPS without auto updating again. Yep, I use my smartphone too. Oh, also Garmin takes me the long way around many times as well. I don't think that Tom Tom has a lock on that one..... It even takes me on roads that have never been built.

Back in the day I was able to pay a flat $99 fee for lifetime updates for my Garmin Nuvi. You can buy a lifetime update card for like $50 now on ebay. If the prices for them keep coming down it may be worth it at some point to grab a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.