Pellets and sawdust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Going to start my second yr of pellet stove. I have been using pellets from lowes or TSC. When putting pellets in hopper I definitely get a decent amount of fine sawdust that floats up and makes a bit of a mess. Would higher quality pellets create less of this?. I’m looking currently at Greene’s gold and hamers hot ones.

Ones I have purchased all have sawdust. They are made from it. I guess you could pour under sheet to trap the dust. But hey I just wipe it up with wet paper towel.

If you pour them in a bucket outside first, some of it will blow away, and yes, certain brands are worse than others, but at the end of the day, they are all made from sawdust.

I had this problem last year with Lignetic brand pellets. I switched to turman pellets, and have virtually no dust, and very little ash.

Sift them first with a screen and bucket. Do a search out here for directions or google pellet sifter and buy one.

I have to run mine through a pellet vac if they were to dusty or it would jamb up my top auger. And that’s a real pain in the A??

Using Search function Search pellet cleaner
there are a few methods

Slice the top off the bag..
put the whole bag it and lift the bag off the pellets...
don't pour them at all.. and you don't need to support the weight of the bag full off pellets as you pour..instead they rest on whatever's in the hopper and then pull the plastic away from them...no dust at all

Iguess that is what we do...
we put the whole bag in the hopper, then with a razor knife,
cut the bottom open and all the pellets fall out from bottom up. no dust!!
guess u call it a reverse pour.>>>>>>