pellets by the ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
What are you guys all doing with the wood pallets that
the pellets get delivered on? I put them in front of the
house and eventually someone comes by and takes them
but I'm wondering what you folks are doing with them.

We burn them during the outdoor burning season. If you're having a problem getting rid of them there's a guy local to me that will pick them up, as he re-sells them, or look in your yellow pages.

Last year (my first year) I actually used mine to create a compost bin... and I'll use this years delivery to build another bin to go right next to last years. I read online that pallets are an inexpensive way to build a compost bin, and actually do a decent composting job.

My question, though... what do people do with all the individual plastic bags that the pellets come in.

The dealer we're getting our pellets from will take them back if we don't want them (we don't). If we can empty the pallet while they're still there, they'll take them then, otherwise at the next delivery, or we can drop them off ourselves (out of our way, so we won't do that). our neighbor burns wood, but doesn't want the pallets (nails, etc.).

my brother heats his house on 50% wood in the winter, about 25% of that is pallet wood he accrues during the summer.

just did a load with him lastnight

abrucerd said:
Last year (my first year) I actually used mine to create a compost bin
... and I'll use this years delivery to build another bin to go right next to last years. I read online that pallets are
an inexpensive was to build a compost bin, and actually do a decent composting job.

Pretty neat idea!

abrucerd said:
My question, though... what do people do with all the individual plastic bags that the pellets come in.

My local recycle has no problem taking the plastic bags. I've been
putting them in my recycle bin for three years now.

We always keep atleast four pallets in our basement for the pellet bags to sit on.
Don't have a garage so we have to move the bags in one by one each season.

The rest of the pallets get burned outside in the summertime.
We recycle the weather covers and pellet bags.

GF step dad has a wood stove. I give him my scraps and will do the same with the pallets.

My bags say " RECYCLABLE " on them ,so for the past three years ,I've been putting them in my recyclable container that get picked up on garbage day. Then one day last year I come home to find that all my bags are laying throughout my yard. All the other stuff that was in the container was gone , just the bags blowing around my house were not. So I call and they tell me that they "WE NEVER TAKE PLASTIC BAGS , NEVER , SORRY SIR YOU ARE INCORRECT IF YOU THINK WE HAVE BEEN TAKING THOSE BAGS , IT MUST OF BEEN SOME ONE ELSE TAKING THEM , BECAUSE OUR PEOPLE KNOW BETTER THEN TO TAKE PLASTIC BAGS ,UNLESS THEY ARE MARKED 1-12. My bags are marked 4 . Oh, she says then we should take them . I did not mind that they didn't take them , as any one can make an honest mistake , I just didn't like running all over the neighborhood picking up my bags, that they did not put back in the container on a windy day.

My bags say “ RECYCLABLE “
Recycled plastic bags are the main ingredient in composite decking, think Trex.

Keep in mind that most of those pallets are treated to prevent rot much like pressure treated, and the smoke can be toxic. My old neighbor burned them solely and it killed us with the smoke in wintertime.

Status
Not open for further replies.