Pellets falling outside of burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McGrai37

Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Hello, I have a Hudson River Stove Works Davenport fireplace insert stove. I've had it for 3 years with few issues. It started burning terribly, and I realized the deep cleaning I had been doing wasn't deep enough. I took the liner out and cleaned out the whole thing. The flame has been great since, but twice now there's been a buildup of pellets outside the burn pot that have caught fire. This has never happened before. The burn pot is in the same place it's always been, and while I removed and replaced the lining and baffles I don't know how that would affect the pellet chute or pot. The pot isn't over flowing either, it's a good clean burn in there. Does anyone have any ideas why this would be happening?

Are the pellets blowing out of the burn pot - perhaps due to the increased airflow since the stove can breath better now?