Pellets in BC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Those of us that live in BC especially northern BC... What happened to the premium wood pellets from Premium Pellet ltd? They all seem to have been replaced by Platinum pellets from vanderhoof specialty wood products. They are $1.00 more a bag and im finding that the heat output is quite a bit less than the premium brand and seem to take a bit longer to light... Both our local suppliers have switched over to this brand.. For this price i can go to Canadian tire and buy a hardwood pellet i dont even see a hardwood pellet from the other suppliers this year.. Almost like they got together and planned this

Man these pellets are crap... first time i have had issues in years getting it to light in the morning and have had to adjust the trim for low as now it will go out on low..

Well after 10 weeks of dealing with the crap pellets and damage to the stove due to lots of fines and 3" pellets jamming up the auger i jumped ship and went to a new brand. Especially after i talked to the manufacturer and was given every excuse under the sun as well as we don't need the Northwests business we are just doing you guys a favor. I went to the local Canadian tire to try their hardwood pellets and they had none left so i grabbed a few bags of their mixed pellets i think soft and hardwood.. not to sure.. But man im impressed the sizing was a consistent 1/4-1/2 inch, next to no fines, lights quick, and next to no ash buildup on the glass. Been running it for a week now and have yet to glean the glass just a very light dusting on it, other pellets i would have needed a scrapper by now to get the ash off the glass.. Hoping they will have some of the hardwood in today to try out but im quite happy with these.. Even the flame is nice and big since its being fed properly now

Prices are up in Alberta, Rona has a softwood pellet at $5.69 a bag and they seem decent.

We are up to about $6.75 for pellets.. Last year i payed $5.35 a bag
I purchased 8 ton of LeCrete pellets in the spring 300.00 / ton. Delivery was another $130. Prices are going up down here and availability will worsen I’m sure. These are good pellets and will last me a few years.

Those of us that live in BC especially northern BC... What happened to the premium wood pellets from Premium Pellet ltd? They all seem to have been replaced by Platinum pellets from vanderhoof specialty wood products. They are $1.00 more a bag and im finding that the heat output is quite a bit less than the premium brand and seem to take a bit longer to light... Both our local suppliers have switched over to this brand.. For this price i can go to Canadian tire and buy a hardwood pellet i dont even see a hardwood pellet from the other suppliers this year.. Almost like they got together and planned this
Made the switch from Premium to Platinum this year and after having zero issues with the heat output with the Premium, my Osburn 5000 stove was constantly throwing exhaust sensor temperature faults, to the point where I had to get assistance to lower the hi/lo settings on it. Talking to my local dealer, sounds like there are quite a few complaints about this change that has been forced upon us.

Made the switch from Premium to Platinum this year and after having zero issues with the heat output with the Premium, my Osburn 5000 stove was constantly throwing exhaust sensor temperature faults, to the point where I had to get assistance to lower the hi/lo settings on it. Talking to my local dealer, sounds like there are quite a few complaints about this change that has been forced upon us.
Yep but if you talk to the manufacturer they will state they have no issues but then give you 5 reasons why the pellets are so poor and that the issue will be fixed at the end of the season..LOL... I have been running the Canadian tire hardwood pellets and im 100% happy with them. Just wish CT would do pallet pricing... They could be selling truckloads a week

Reactions: jurgenk