Pellets not burning complete??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmann96

Oct 21, 2018
Gilford, New Hampshire
I've got a New Englander 25 PDVC 55/ SHP 22E . I've been trying different setting with the air and auger speeds. I'm burning Green Team Platinum and tried Lignetics green supreme. My pot fills up before one hopper is burned ( 70lbs). I've attached a picture after 11 hours of cleaning the stove. any suggestions. the settings with this picture are 4.6.1
pellet stove burn pot.jpg

What heat settings are you running? Holes under burn plate plugged? Holes inthe burn plate open? How clean is cleaned? Leaf blower trick clean?

Had the heat settings listed in the last post 4.6.1 yes, it was cleaned really well. I have only burned 7 bags this year and have had to clean after every filling. cleaned between each fill up. thanks for responding. I had a pellet stove while living in canada and didn't have to clean it this often. there was only dust not pieces of unburned pellets.

461 is your bottom low fuel feed, low brn air, air on temperature. What do you have the main temp setting at? 5 heat 5 fan? Are the 2 holes under the burn plate capped off? Lift the burn plate out. On either side is a holeabout 1/2”- 3/4”.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I know nothing about that stove, but that flame looks very wrong. Like no air under the pellet load, as Ssyko may be referring to. If air is getting under the pellets, IMO, the flame should have more a spiked hair look to it rather than a lazy curl. Again, I do not know this stove, just looking at the flame.

AD4B9E21-EC35-464F-965F-C18A9C2D1714.png

It looks like the typical pdvc/ pdv lava build up. Like ssyko said lug the bottom two holes plus close the trap door in the bottom of the hopper alittle. It looks like way to many pellets are in that pot. Also another trick I learned with my pdv is to close off some of the burn plate hole around the perimeter of the plate to force the air thru the center of the plate. I also enlarged the center holes slightly. Another thought how much exhaust vent and turns are you running?By the way my stove absolutely hates anything hardwood or blend or I start to get a build up. Just my 2 cents

461 is your bottom low fuel feed, low brn air, air on temperature. What do you have the main temp setting at? 5 heat 5 fan? Are the 2 holes under the burn plate capped off? Lift the burn plate out. On either side is a holeabout 1/2”- 3/4”.
Thanks, I'll check these item when I get home from work. I'll let you know the settings also

It looks like the typical pdvc/ pdv lava build up. Like ssyko said lug the bottom two holes plus close the trap door in the bottom of the hopper alittle. It looks like way to many pellets are in that pot. Also another trick I learned with my pdv is to close off some of the burn plate hole around the perimeter of the plate to force the air thru the center of the plate. I also enlarged the center holes slightly. Another thought how much exhaust vent and turns are you running?By the way my stove absolutely hates anything hardwood or blend or I start to get a build up. Just my 2 cents
It doesn't start off this way. The pellets build a pile up after 3-4 hours. I'll try blocking off the perimeter so the air goes thru closer to the auger. It could be the pellets, if these things don't help I'll try a softer pellet. Thanks for your input.

I know nothing about that stove, but that flame looks very wrong. Like no air under the pellet load, as Ssyko may be referring to. If air is getting under the pellets, IMO, the flame should have more a spiked hair look to it rather than a lazy curl. Again, I do not know this stove, just looking at the flame.
Thanks , it starts off spiked but after 3-4 hours it starts to grow and gets this lazy flame.

Like some of the other posters above. Block the two holes under the burn plate,seal the outer holes and enlarge the ones were the pellets drop on the plate. I did this last winter and it’s working great. Less ash on the plate and more heat on lower settings.

Reactions: zmann96
Like some of the other posters above. Block the two holes under the burn plate,seal the outer holes and enlarge the ones were the pellets drop on the plate. I did this last winter and it’s working great. Less ash on the plate and more heat on lower settings.
I just cleaned and wasn't bad other than the burn plate. I blocked off some of the outer plate. What pellets are you burning? I'm burning Green team platinum. I'm still looking around for other brands. thanks again

I’m in Nova Scotia and the choice of pellets are limited. I burn Cozy comfy there are made in NB I have great luck with these pellets. I’ve been burning for three days now and I only have to remove a some bit of ash daily from the wear plate. I’m burning at 4-4-1 with my englander pdvc

Reactions: zmann96
In the beginning of the season I burn American wood Fiber's because they are close to my house , and I do not need a lot of heat out of them . but they do work good. But during the cold season I only burn Easy Blaze. They burn really hot with little ash.. I am in eastern Pa.
I just cleaned and wasn't bad other than the burn plate. I blocked off some of the outer plate. What pellets are you burning? I'm burning Green team platinum. I'm still looking around for other brands. thanks again

In the beginning of the season I burn American wood Fiber's because they are close to my house , and I do not need a lot of heat out of them . but they do work good. But during the cold season I only burn Easy Blaze. They burn really hot with little ash.. I am in eastern Pa.
Thanks , I'll look to see if I can get easy blaze around here.

Or you could just buy a Harman??;)

Reactions: fmsm and Washed-Up
LOl only if you are rich . Way out of my budget.

Quite frankly, I am not even familiar with this model or the pricing. I only see that there are MANY threads about what appears to be the same problem and work arounds to fix the issue. Seems like the model was perhaps rushed to market, without the design being fully baked??

Well, it been running much smoother since I blocked the perimeter holes. I've tried a few different kinds of pellets, right now I'm burning Okanagan soft wood, I've been looking for the okanagan Douglas fir but not very handy to find in my area. I can get the Okanagan for 260$ s ton with the company discount. I've been wondering how often most you you have to clean the pot out, I've been doing it just about every 2 bags. Is this normal. There isn't much below the tray or to either side just the tray. They say the DF burns really clean, before I purchase enough for the winter should I still try to find the DF or do they not burn much cleaner than the soft pine I have?

I usually clean or scrape my pot ounce in the morning and after work late afternoon and bedtime. So typically about 3 times a day but I do not like a dirty pot plate.

Well, it been running much smoother since I blocked the perimeter holes. I've tried a few different kinds of pellets, right now I'm burning Okanagan soft wood, I've been looking for the okanagan Douglas fir but not very handy to find in my area. I can get the Okanagan for 260$ s ton with the company discount. I've been wondering how often most you you have to clean the pot out, I've been doing it just about every 2 bags. Is this normal. There isn't much below the tray or to either side just the tray. They say the DF burns really clean, before I purchase enough for the winter should I still try to find the DF or do they not burn much cleaner than the soft pine I have?

For the added cost of perhaps a hundie per ton, I don’t think it’s worth the incremental decrease in cleanings you’ll do. Yes it’s less, but not to the tune of 38 percent less ash.