Pellets Not Feeding PelPro TSC90

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 13, 2014
Michigan
PelPro TSC90 is going on third year this winter. Last spring threw error code # 5. I replaced the user control board. Doing so did not fix the problem. We could see the auger was not turning so we also replaced the auger. At this point when I tried to run it today the error I got was missed ignition and the brand new auger is still not moving.

Some Questions
when you start does the combustion fan come on?
Is the hopper switch closed (lid closed contacting switch )
Have you done a dollar bill test on door seals ?
Is the chimney clean and not plugged (bird nest)
Is the air intake clean (no mouse nest)

Thanks Johneh.
The combustion fan runs when I turn the stove on. It doesn’t run at full speed right away. I can just barely hear it at first, but it is running.
The hopper switch is closed and does not appear to be broken.
The door seals are good, it passed the dollar bill test.
We just cleaned the chimney and exhaust pipe.
Air intake is good .

Combustion fans (exhaust fans) never start out at full speed. The control board ramps up the speed as the fire establishes itself.

Have you tried jumping the vac switch?

Pull the 2 wires and put a jumper across them
start your stove and see if it operates OK
If it does the vac switch may be bad. Also
remove the hose from the switch and blow
it out, make sure it is clear into the stove

If you remove the auger motor can you turn the auger by hand?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Get yourself a length of old lamp cord with a plug still on the end and strip both wires and put on crimp on spade connectors and unplug the auger motor from the harness and plug the spade connectors into the female connectors on the auger motor and then plug in the line cord and see if the motor is turning or not. I haven't said anything but I strongly suspect dried out bearings (outboard) on the motor or the reduction gear box is lacking grease or is shot. The older gearboxes used all metal gears, the new ones use a mic of plastic and metal gears and the plastic ones will fail after a time.

First thing I did was I bypassed the lid switch entirely and then took out the finger grate in the hopper. I don't need to protect myself from myself. I'm an adult, usually.

I did blow through the hose, it was hard but it was clear.
I believe 'Stove Parts for Less' has the silicone rubber hose and it's sold by the inch or maybe foot, not sure. Said in another post (or maybe this one, cannot remember (I'm old) that the hose needs replaced infrequently no matter what. When they get hard, they are prone to cracking.

I found that the old auger does not turn freely but the new one does. Now I am looking for an old extension cord or lamp cord to wire to the new auger to see if it powers on.

I found that the old auger does not turn freely but the new one does. Now I am looking for an old extension cord or lamp cord to wire to the new auger to see if it powers on.
Where are you located in Michigan? I'm in SE Michigan near Toledo and I can always help you if necessary, if you are fairly close to me.

Pretty good trek for me (3.5 hours) actually. I get up that way quite often though. I own 153 acres just of 131 at exit 131. It's hunting ground and all forested. I'll probably be up there in a few weeks. Right off 6 mile road just south of the BP station about 2 miles.

Pretty good trek for me (3.5 hours) actually. I get up that way quite often though. I own 153 acres just of 131 at exit 131. It's hunting ground and all forested. I'll probably be up there in a few weeks. Right off 6 mile road just south of the BP station about 2 miles.
Hello Neighbor! Nice to meet you! Beautiful land you have there!

Last year, I was in Big Rapids and I saw that Wally World and Menards were selling wood pellets. I have a thing for Culvers so when up there I tend to drive over to Culvers for lunch.

When I come up, I'll be happy to take a look at your unit and maybe help you out. Been fiddling with this stuff for a long time now.

Rick Nugent is my neighbor btw. He and his wife live there full time, me, I just visit to hunt or camp.

I suspect you either have a motor or reduction gearbox issue. The newer reduction gearboxes now have some plastic gearsets and after a while they tend to fail.